Scout Revolution: Scouts or Military?

Hard to say how much is hype and how much they are really getting into the paramiliary stuff. I think the web site is trying hard to make it sound really military, but watching the kickstarter videos, it seems to me most of it is hype. If so, I'm cool with it, if it creates more excitement and interest for the boys.

Our guys love wilderness survival stuff, but honestly it gets old. I always challenge the boys to come up with some new slant. A couple years a go we had two dads, both retired Marine aviators, helped run the campout like Survival, Evasion, Escape and Resistance training. At one point they had the boys in the back of a "Dodge Ram helicopter" coordinate the rescue of a downed pilot. It was way cool. The squad leader was on the radio with the pilot who had to give all the right code words for the helio to land. The boys jumped out and formed a security perimeter. The pilot had to give a last round of codes before he could approach the helio or the security detail would take him out. It was a blast.

I kinda waited for a phone call after that one, but we were basically just playing army for the afternoon. I suppose if we had taught the Scouts how to resist being water boarded we may have caught some flack.

It doesnt bother me as much, but the moment we see a First Class Scout wielding an assault rifle is when I will probably disapprove of this. I wonder if BSA has anything to say about its logos being used probably without their permission to make money.

I can't figure out what this is...I thought it was actually official based on the graphics and logos. Appears it is a site hawking...something?

Anyhoo, I don't have a problem with the military connection in theory. As has been pointed out, remember why scouting came to be in the first place.

And my experience is, given free time in the woods, boys will tend to find "guns" and end up in an epic battle....

I took a couple of my son's friends, who happen to be his patrol, to shoot my bushmaster 308.

The BSA needs to realize that single shot 22's just aren't cutting the mustard anymore.

The rotc guys at the local high school are shooting 223's......

Our boys are growing up playing black ops on their game systems shooting hand cannons and high power rifles......Not like you or I running the woods shooting 22 and 410's. To them single shot 22's are pretty boring especially shooting paper all day.

Son and I shoot in a 22 pistol bowling pin league during the winter, daughter will shoot this year too she is finally old enough...

With that said.....a day on the range is a lot safer than a day on mountain bikes.

I'm not sure what to make of it; it's kind of a "grey" area the way I see it. One has to make a "donation" to take advantage of the course. If the BSA objects and sends their "special forces," we'll just see this whole thing disappear. Not sure at this point if this is really a couple of guys with a well-intentioned effort, or a cleverly designed money-making operation. It's worth keeping an eye on, anyway!

"I'm pretty sure the next one will be how to teach the Personal Management merit badge using video games!"

Ha! Anyone ever seen the video game The Sims? You run this guy's (or gal's) life, and the single most important thing is time management. Gives you a real odd sensation when you realize how much time you're wasting in real life playing a video game about time management for an imaginary person.

So what? Is this some kind of affront to Scouting? Who cares? It's a Facebook page. You can put anything you want, within reason, on there.

"But it shows that there is a need for more and qualified MBC's"

I don't know about that. I've been on the list for 5 badges, 3 of them Citizenships, for five years. I've never been called. The only candidates I get are from visiting local troops.