I really can't believe it. My professors are actually requiring me to attend class. They won't pass me if I don't. Oh, and they won't pass me for just attending class. I have to actually participate in a constructive manner. I can't believe this. It is horrible. What with all this homework how do they expect me to have a job? Or a life?

http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/nosymp.htm

More seriously, they are giving me so much homework that it is cutting into my scouting time.

Oh, and that hour a week, just with my home program, not counting time spent doing stuff at home, I spend 22 hours a week on scouting. That does not take into account my other positions outside my ship.

On a different not about my school, they don't have the funding to have a summer semester next year, and they keep on not offering the classes I need due to the same lack of funding. The whole go to JC for 2 years then transfer thing isn't working out so well. First the counselors give me wrong info on multiple occasions, now classes are not being offered. Looks like I gotta go to state to get my BS, then look at University for graduate school. I couldn't get directly into the UCs that have the program I want because my educational background is a little too eccentric. They loved my SAT scores, but not that much.

btw, I'm just rambling because this is really starting to annoy me. Feel free to ignore, delete, whatev. :)

Does the 22 hours include blogging on this forum? ;)

Work hard, play hard, sleep well.

If your ship is any good they'll fill the gaps left by you having to devote hours to your job or schoolwork.

I'm in the same position with my crew. Youth who should have time to volunteer at the peak of their skilsl doubling down to pay for schooling.

I'm sorry about your school. They are victims of our dept-laden society. If each and every American just pitched in $40,000, taxes would worth their full value. There'd be a chance that some of that would go to pay for your future instead of our past. Our enemies know that and disrupt their side of the world enough to keep oil speculation high, so our gains in efficiency just maintain the status quo.

All those things beyond your control are for a conversation between you and the Almighty (step #1 in the "sleep well" part). Measure the winds, trim sails, and set course.

Excel in the classes you have. Build up a transcript that will make those other schools regret writing you those rejection letters.

PJ,

Hang in there. All of us who loving scouting have periods where the rest of our life (school, kids, health, employment)makes us less involved than we would like. Stay connected and you can come back.

I had to work for about 1/2 tuition. (The other 1/2 from life insurance money--"blood money" from when my brother died). I think it made me a more serious student--I hated wasting money on fluff classes, etc. But it was easier then--school was a lot cheaper and part-time jobs more plentiful. So I do not envy you.

It's all a matter of prioritizing. There are 24 hours in a day and I'd say about 2-3 of them are totally wasted. If one gets the waste out, that leave plenty of time for everything else that is more important.

This might sound made up, but it's not:

I have an unemployed, recovering alcoholic, ex-con, sex offender, brother-in-law living in my home.

As guardian for my 85 year old father who can't get into a nursing home, I'm trying to set up 24/7 in-home care at a nursing home level for him.

I am married, no kids at home, but 7 all over the country. Two married children with spouses are coming to visit this weekend.

I have 4 cats and 2 dogs.

I work full-time, do community volunteer work, scouts, reenacting and a ton of activities with the wife.

I got in a national reenactment as an officer (more work than toting a gun and being told what to do) and a 50+ mile kayak trip in this summer/fall.

Anyone says that they don't have time for something, it means they prefer to waste time than figure out how to pitch in and do it.

Yep, and I have time to waste doing posts on this forum. :) Of course I'm supposed to be cleaning the house.....

Sorry, I haven't the patience to deal with people that are "too busy" because I'm too busy myself.

Stosh

I really like what your prof is saying!!!!!

If more kids heard this more times as they went through school, we would be a far more productive country with far fewer people sitting and waiting for the "government" to give them a hand-out or solve their problems for them.

I know juggling school and a job and homework and a social life is very hard work, but the payoff is fantastic if you learn the lesson he is trying to teach you.

If the JC is not offering what you need, go ahead and bite the bullet to go on to where you need to be to get what you want out of life. Life is too short to put up with poor service and put off dreams.

I'm going to take a wild stab at a guess that Sailingpj is writing 'tongue-in-cheek'. Or am I wrong? Anyways, I really like Steven Dutch, especially this nugget from elsewhere on his website:

"While the Chinese were unrolling an LED screen the size of a soccer field at the Beijing Olympic opening ceremony, we were groveling before people who want to see Obama's birth certificate and still insist the earth is 10,000 years old. I watched the opening ceremony and contrasted it with the sorry spectacle of the 2008 Presidential election and thought, they are going to mop the floor with us."

Sailingpj, if you were my advisee I'd already have read you the 'riot act'. The ONLY person who has the true responsibility for determining your educational strategies and finding out about things is...YOU. Your advisers can look over your shoulder, so-to-speak, but it's ultimately on YOU to make the smart decisions and take the responsibility for your own life. Don't even think about laying off any of that responsibility onto other persons unless they just put you in handcuffs and led you to prison...even then, YOU probably made the fateful decisions.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Yeah, the first part of my post is definitely tongue in cheek. I do agree pack, it is my own damn fault for not doing my own research the first time. I assumed that the counselors knew what they were talking about the first time I went to them. The second time I was given different information. At that point I researched and learned that both people I talked to were wrong. The third time I went in with a very specific question about the transfer agreement between my school and the UC system. The counselor did not know the answer to my question, and instead of saying so she made something. Yay, I don't go to that department of the school anymore.

I make the time to do exactly what I want to do. Despite spending way too much time on reddit (that is where I found that link btw) and facebook I still manage to spend 22 hours physically at scouts (you'd think that in that time I would actually get some progress made on my QM now wouldn't you), 18.5 hours working, and ~40 hours a week on school work. Oh, and I still have time to read a book or two a week.

I may grumble about the things I can't control, but I buckle down and work on the things I can control. I was dealt the ace, king, and queen of spades, I plan to shoot the moon. Even if I miss I'll still be the first human to leave our solar system. I may not be there to witness it, but that's where the whole cake thing comes into play. :)

Well sailingpj, as I'm sure you know, cake is a lie. ;)

As for university advisers, I think they're universally reviled. Kind of like every campus I've ever taught at has "the worst" parking problems on earth. I don't pretend to understand why this should be the case, but it does appear to be true. The maxim "trust, but verify" comes to mind when dealing with "advice" from "advisers."

Oh, and "bullying," ha! There's a story this week about a student who chose to fall asleep, ostentatiously (legs outstretched, hat over the face, nearly horizontal in chair), in class. The Prof woke him up by standing nearby and speaking loudly. Rather than apologize for being rude and for distracting the class, the student made a scene before leaving the class and then reported the prof to the local police for alleged assault. Seriously. Oh, those bullying professors!