How does Urban vs Suburban living effect scouting???

Not everyone in the country are farmers, Only those that own some acreage. Very few have new equipment that you speak of. My tractors are worth less about $2,000. Southern farmers are not Mid-West grain farmers. My father always said "if you want to farm, get a job first." because very little money is made in it.

Many people in my "neighborhood" walk and ride bikes where they need to go. Many migrant workers pile up 20 into a truck. Over 1/2 here live in single wide trailers.

Urban areas are not the only ones hurting economically. We have no public transportation. We have few public programs in place for assistance. Most kids in elementary school ride an hour to the school. Most qualify for free breakfast and lunch program.

Please don't mistake that your area is the only form of poverty.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/37/37139.html Pasquotank County, NC.

- average income, $21,000

- white 58%, black 38%

- college degree 18%

- graduate high school 80%

From your source....I doubt the Per capita income numbers from the website.....In my experience that would be per household.

Per capita money income in past 12 months (2010 dollars) 2006-2010 $20,132 $25,113

Median household income 2006-2010 $34,587 $47,358

Persons below poverty level, percent, 2006-2010 20.3% 14.2%

Yep similar situations.

My Scouting has been in the most urban area of the country... One of the biggest challenges for Troops and Crews is transportation. Few have cars, van rental unreliable and what fun getting on a public bus or subway at rush hour with 20 kids & equipment!

There are many exceptions to the rule, but one thing the urban poor and urban affluent have in common (in my experience)... capable & willing adult leaders are hard to come by. Good leaders are hard to find everywhere, but I'd guess the potential pool is larger in the suburban areas.