Ugly Trailer - Help

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eagle 732 why not place the names of First Class Scouts on the trailer and place them on again if/when they attain Eagle Scout. BP was a proponent of First Class, right? This could act as a right of passage.

You could ask the parents if anyone owns a Cricut or some similar vinyl cutting machine to cut the lettering for you. The would not be able to create a large BSA emblem, but could make a good size letter.

Troop24,

The Eagle names only thing was a joke. We've had the discussion before about troops that put all their Eagle's names on the side of their trailer. And about how troops using lightweight backpacking gear don't need big trailers to haul all their gear.

We travel both ways, heavy with multiple trailers (we own 4) and light with just a pick-up to haul all the backpacks.

It all depends on you program, either way it's all good if the boys are getting out.

Instead of moss you could put some plywood boxes on the roof, fill them with dirt, then plant grass or something. Bingo, you have a living roof that will keep the rain off the trailer.

If you live in an area that grass doesn't grow well then plant some local vegetation.

For All You Trailer Haters..

Where do you put all the Equipment if you have No Trailer and the Adults do not have Enough Car Space to Carry it and Boys Also?

In 1983 our Philmont OA Contingency barely had enough room for Scouts, Adult and all of our gear in a Single Passenger Van for the 502 Mile Road Trip..We were a Poor Group we could not afford the Charter Bus like Rich Troops normally do. And that Was with one of Group Driving in From West Point to meet us there

For All You Trailer Haters..

Where do you put all the Equipment if you have No Trailer and the Adults do not have Enough Car Space to Carry it and Boys Also?

In 1983 our Philmont OA Contingency barely had enough room for Scouts, Adult and all of our gear in a Single Passenger Van for the 502 Mile Road Trip..We were a Poor Group we could not afford the Charter Bus like Rich Troops normally do. And that Was with one of Group Driving in From West Point to meet us there

On certain occasions a trailer is quite nice, but for me it's more of a luxury than an absolute necessity. For summer camp, it's nice to have along for the extra gear, but for every outing is rather unnecessary. I can see a trailer hauling gear when there is the possibility of going with one less vehicle. I hate using up seat belt space for a backpack.

However, with this thread, the question of how good of a trailer is needed. I have seen huge trailers, with shelving, lights and double doors for a troop of 30 boys. The outside was professionally painted with photographs of previous scout activities. Very impressive, but I have often wondered if that money could have been better spent on the boys and their program than on a fancy trailer.

When I travel with the one who must not be disobeyed, I have a small pop-up camper that I spent a whopping $700 for. It's worth every penny. The water doesn't work, the electrical hook-up consists of an extension cord stuck in from a corner, the gas stove is long gone, and there isn't any icebox or refrigerator. It's a place to sleep off the ground. It isn't ugly, it is nothing more than crap on wheels. It's has more silicone patching than it does sheet metal, there are tears here and there in the canvas, but the only redeeming factor is it doesn't leak in the rain thanks to generous amounts of duct tape. If I'm going to invest money it's going to be on more silicon, not paint. It functions and it keeps the Mrs. in the camping business. In other words, it does the job.

If I'm going to spend money, it's going to be on an upgrade, which will probably never happen. I would rather spend the extra money on good sleeping bags, a nice Coleman cooler and maybe a camp stove for when it rains. It's nice in my state that trailers don't need to be registered, so if someday you see a camper abandoned along side the road someplace, you'll know who left it there. :)

Trailers need to be functional sound, not pretty.

Stosh

JBlake: Check with your County/State Fair. The demolition derby folks now have several categories(full size, compact, minivan) that now includes TRAILERS. The towing vehicle and trailer buzz round a figure eight and the object is to bash the trailer, not the tow-er. Leads to some fine mayhem. Shredded aluminum, fiberglass and furniture (!) in the air.

Perhaps (when your upgrade happens) you can give your long serving camper a "viking funeral" thereby.

Our Troop trailer was originally purchased by a graduating Eagle Scout that saved up all his Scout account (from many years of holiday wreath sales) and used the money that way. His name ("thanks to Eagle Scout ...") is in 3" letters on the bottom edge of the side. Sides are lettered with Troop number from so and so MD. And we wear the dirt and tree sap proudly. Most of the Troop gear is in it at any given time, there being no real "Scout Closet" in the church since they started the day school.After about 20 years of use, we just had the axle bearings repacked, new tires installed, a spare mounted on the front, and the wireing and lights repaired for the very first time. Garage only charged for the materials. Free labor to "a fellow Scout", the man said.

JBlake: Check with your County/State Fair. The demolition derby folks now have several categories(full size, compact, minivan) that now includes TRAILERS. The towing vehicle and trailer buzz round a figure eight and the object is to bash the trailer, not the tow-er. Leads to some fine mayhem. Shredded aluminum, fiberglass and furniture (!) in the air.

Perhaps (when your upgrade happens) you can give your long serving camper a "viking funeral" thereby.

Our Troop trailer was originally purchased by a graduating Eagle Scout that saved up all his Scout account (from many years of holiday wreath sales) and used the money that way. His name ("thanks to Eagle Scout ...") is in 3" letters on the bottom edge of the side. Sides are lettered with Troop number from so and so MD. And we wear the dirt and tree sap proudly. Most of the Troop gear is in it at any given time, there being no real "Scout Closet" in the church since they started the day school.After about 20 years of use, we just had the axle bearings repacked, new tires installed, a spare mounted on the front, and the wireing and lights repaired for the very first time. Garage only charged for the materials. Free labor to "a fellow Scout", the man said.

Scoutstuff is where to go for the Scouty decals.