another camp goes on the auction block

Well Dennis you did your part to support the camp...We have a camp surrounded by housing now...It is in town for all practical purposes. But they use it for cub day camp, council seasonal events, public awareness events....Heck we have gone up their for a new scout weekend....There is even pizza delivery to camp, I thought it was kinda fun....

Our scouts rarely go beyond 40 miles from town.....Maybe 3 times a year for an outing. Guess we are lucky that way.

Our Council has an old "in-town" Council Camp that is now primarily used for leader training, scout training, weekend camping, and cub/webelo camping. The camp is about 350 acres and summer camps ended decades ago. It's a pretty camp. The camp has been around since the 1920's when it was truly in the country. The city has now grown up around it but there is still a sense of the country when you are there. Our council has committed to keeping the camp due to it's close proximity for many units and it's overall popularity. Upgrades and repairs are already in progress.

I'm familiar with Camp Strake and not surprised with it's demise because of the rich devlopment that is surrounding it. It's hard to see camps go, but if the Council is committed to securing a replacement camp using the funds of the sale of the former camp, then the "pill" little easier to swallow.

We still have our old camp that was opened in the 30's. It's now just a little less than 50 acres. It sits in the middle of a county of about 1 million people that is completely built out. We have added some Cub World-type areas and have just remodeled the kitchen and dining hall. We will replace the roof and add airconditioning to the dining hall and that will probably be the last of any capital expenditures other than maintenance. This camp is full all of time with Troops camping, Cub activities, training and even District events.

I understand that there is a lot of sentimental feelings attached to summer camps....

I wonder if it is a bad thing that they are disappearing.

From the council we hear they are expensive, underutilized and always in disrepair.

From the units we hear they are expensive and in disrepair, and summer campwise it is a merit badge free for all.....Many times the program quality is extremely low, at one large very well financed camp in Ohio I hear of boys receiving several merit badges in minutes of face time with the councilor....

Is this the reason we are seeing all of these merit badge universities in councils????

They are preparing the next generation of scouters that this is the way merit badges are earned, not at summer camp???????

Personally I think the program would be superior with out them.....It would probably weed out all of the weak programs and SM's in a couple of years....

When people tell me that summer camp is about earning merit badges, I tell them that it is not. I explain that it is a week where a group of boys learn about their abilities and how to work together...with merit badges to fill in the time.

• 2 years later...

Closed

"Tuesday night was the final night of activity out at Camp Strake, which used to be in an isolated patch of land near Conroe....

Johnson Development purchased the property and is planning residential and retail space on the 2,000-acre site that includes several lakes and bayous. The Boy Scouts are relocating away from the sprawl."

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/state...ears/21124263/

http://www.khou.com/story/news/local/neighborhood/2014/12/30/camp-strake-closing-after-70-years/21090359/