What does the Public expect of Scouts?

In a Cub Scout thread, TampaTurtle states:

"It seems to me that there are a few things that the general public expects scouts of all ages to know (even unreasonably): First Aid and Flags."

I can't disagree with that and it got me thinking - what else might the general public think a Scout should know. Now I know we run the risk of trying to list all the outdoor activities and stuff that we do but try to think of it not as the things we hope the public knows we do, but rather what we think someone in the general public would look towards us to do for them.

For instance - I think it far more likely that someone might say to a Scout: "Hey, you're a Scout - can you help me tie this thing to my car" and less likely to say "Hey, you're a Scout, can you go lash me up a tower?"

So TampaTurtle starts us off with:

Flag Ceremonies

First Aid

I'll add:

Knot Tying

Light a Fire

What else do you think the Public expects?

That's a good one - I hadn't thought of that - and it's our origin story - the superhero Boy Scout emerging from the fog to help someone find their way, then quietly disappearing back into the fog.

Sure, it's parodied a lot (see the movie UP) but I'd say that the public expects that of us.

Rude loud obnoxious self serving resource dominating.....

Walked into a hardware to buy some gloves for a project in my scout shirt and scout son in tow.....found some and went to pay for them, the guy behind the counter said he couldn't donate them........I laughed and said did I ask you to give them too me.....his response was he gets asked for donations all the time by the boy scouts and they either want discounts or donations. I laughed....Paid him and left.

But the man has a point.......

I cannot count the times we have stopped at a gas stations or restaurants with the troop while traveling and you can see the peoples faces.......The oh no looks....

A number of times as we leave we have had random people come up to us and commenting on how well mannered and respectful our boys are. Really I thought they were kinda loud.....

Had a manage at a wendys give the boys all small frostys for the fantastic behavior and manners.

While this is great for my guys.........What or how are the other troops acting in public that my guys, who are not angels, are being complimented????????

The behavior must be horrid.

Could it be that the behavior that is being rewarded is the behavior of the scouts relative to other groups of youth the same age and not to other Scout Troops?

The asking for donations? That I certainly can identify with. As a member of the District Advancment Committee involved in the Eagle process, so any of the youth express the intent of asking for discounts at the local lumber and hardware stores to the point I get embarrassed when I go in the stores to know how many times they get hit for donations/discounts.

And just about each scout thinks he is being original or deserves the discount. That I can see is an issue

Could it be that the behavior that is being rewarded is the behavior of the scouts relative to other groups of youth the same age and not to other Scout Troops?

The asking for donations? That I certainly can identify with. As a member of the District Advancment Committee involved in the Eagle process, so any of the youth express the intent of asking for discounts at the local lumber and hardware stores to the point I get embarrassed when I go in the stores to know how many times they get hit for donations/discounts.

And just about each scout thinks he is being original or deserves the discount. That I can see is an issue