How to recruit Den Cheifs

"Tim your new to the forum and scouting.....Your wealthy and live in a very nice suburb.

Not all of us have it that easy.

Count your blessings." BASEMENTDWELLER

LMAO!!!!!!

Being New to this forum makes my opinion less valid? How many posts does one need? And you hate Woodbadgers because of their elitist attitude. Yes I am new to your forum but not to Scouting. 7 years in Scouting as youth, coming on 3 as a Leader.

- As I don't feel wealth is measured in money, yes I am wealthy. I have a great wife of 16yrs and 4 children.

- I am a single income household. My occupation of the past 10yrs is Firefighting, before that I was Infantry. I drive a 1983 Mercedes that runs on used veggie oil, a 1995 Ford farm truck, and my wife has a 2005 Minivan. Nothing new, but all payed for.

- I live in a 3 bedroom home built in 1960 on a 5 acre "Farm" where we have chickens, milk goats, raise hogs for meat, and tend honey bees.

- I farm the back fields with a 1949 Farmall H and 1952 Massey Ferguson 50 tractors.

- I am the middle of 5 kids, home birthed on my families 86 acre sweet potato and hog farm in Pungo,VA. We had a tin roof, plywood floor, wood heat, and NO A.C.! We hunted, trapped, and fished to supplement our meager income that we made just enough to pay the taxes on our Land. ( dad always said. one thing about land son, they ain't making anymore of it.)

- I saved my own money from my 4-H animals for years to attend Scout Camps and Maine High Adventure.

- I commute 45 minutes one way from Elizabeth City, NC to Chesapeake, VA where my wife and I volunteer. We run 2 Home school Dens at 1pm and 1 traditional Den at 7pm.

So you may understand my extreme humor in your statements.

You gave scenarios in an earlier post on Den Chiefs which I am assuming you posted in justification of how you run your particular program. I gave responses to assist in solving the conflicts in them. I'm sorry you don't like the answers but please refrain from ignorant retorts.

New Guy, Wealthy, Easy life. It makes you seem like a Politician. I have had nothing of such and It has made me a better person because of it.

I think you may want to reevaluate why you are in this program as your statements and actions contradict the core values of the program you tout you love and are so experienced in.

Yours In Cheerful Service,

-Tim

Since the other thread got deleted by the moderators.....

In my area.....Home Schooling is territory for the rich folks only......Again single parent or grandparent homes.....and if here are two adults in the household both work....

I stand corrected in your situation but YOU are the exception and not the rule.

In my world there are troops with out Pack and they have no problem Poaching scouts. The troop has no small financial and time investment in the Pack for recruiting cubs to the troop.

I have a real issue with a Troop who has done nothing for the Pack coming in at the 11th hour and snatch up our webelos......A troop in our district did exactly that......Their benefactor gifted all the boys crossing into their troop complete backpacking setups. They got most of the webelos from the are Packs that year.....

While you and I understand loyalty.....When you dangle a nice shiny farkle in front of mom and dad your gonna lose that boy irregardless of the quality of your program.

Most public school here due to the poor public school system, but the unavailability or affordability of private schools.

Geographically were different, I'm surrounded by dirt, your surrounded asphalt. Economically we ain't far off.

Yours In Cheerful Service,

Tim

Glad to see we've reached a understanding here.

I live in Cincinnati, Ohio. Dan Beard Council. Competition for kids isn't that bad. Dan Beard Council is well off. The Boys generally go where the Dens sent their boys last year. The rare exception is when a Cub has a brother in another Boy Scout Troop. My troop does 2 recruiting events, and we attend a third put on by the Council. We normally pull in 15-20 cubs a year. Things are less cut throat in the suburbs of Cincinnati.

So I guess that explains your rules of the game. In my area the rules of engagement are far different. I have no idea what your Troop goes through.

Yours in Service,

Sentinel

In my area.....Home Schooling is territory for the rich folks only......Again single parent or grandparent homes.....and if here are two adults in the household both work....

I stand corrected in your situation but YOU are the exception and not the rule.

Most of the folks in my circle homeschool, are single-income (Mom stays home with the kids), and run the gamut from lower middle-class to upper middle. I guess we're the exception too.

Living on one income.

We call it living with in your means. You be surprised at what you don't NEED to live.

No cable, No new cars, Alternative fuel, No eating out, Shop at thrift stores, Make Christmas presents, Produce as much of your own food as possible, and supplement income from whatever you can. Mainly just being happy with what you do have. Don't worry about all the things everyone tells you you need to be happy.

My wife stays at home because it is more cost effective. Any second income would only cover child-care and fuel for travel ( no public transportation here.) It also would not let us maintain the farm. Fire dept is a 72 hr schedule a week. 24 on 24 off. If she wasn't home we would lose it. Give me a holler 17574061393 mrmanpretty@gmail.com

Tim

"in your situation but YOU are the exception and not the rule."

More exceptions here apparently:

We live on one income and we homeschool in an urban lower middle class neighborhood, in a rented home with less than 200 square feet per family member - with no cable, no satellite, no antenna. One vehicle and it's not new.

We could easily afford a much more expensive lifestyle. We're frugal because our experience and our goals guide to be that way. We don't believe it's healthy to be overly attached to material possessions. We don't wish to display to others how well off we are. More ant, less grasshopper.

So... it is exactly as Basement Dweller tells us when he says:

"I still call that wealthy because they are doing that by choice."

It's true. We do live this way by choice. Just as we made the choices earlier in life that have enabled us to have this choice now.(This message has been edited by Callooh! Callay!)

It's nice to see fellow home schoolers here. When you tell other others you home school do they stare at you like you have two heads and then ask how do they build social skills?

Maybe we need a HomeSchool Scout forum.

I turned 18 and ran off to the Army. BEST thing I ever did. They don't care about age, race, religion or social/economic background. YOUR A SOLDIER AND A MAN and they expect you to act like it. Before i was old enough to drink a beer i was an NCO in the infantry running a weapons squad. Calling flanking manuvers. Air strikes and artillery support. Come back and your a "young man" and jobs want someone with more experience (piece of paper/degree) Fire service was the natural transition. Run into places others are running from and make the best call on scene and protect life and property. MARRIED A navy girl and got back to my roots. Realized how much I loved and missed the country life. YES it is my choice to live this way, but everyone has a choice.

We really have deviated from original post.

Bringing it back on course, these various economic and political situations impact the availability of den chiefs. When I was a scout, my parents had more free time as Dad was nearing retirement. He or mom could get me across town to where a den needed a den chief. Or, we had two cars and I was old enough to drive there. (Honestly can't remember which.) I'm pretty sure the pack I was DCing for was not the one associated with our troop's CO. My SM would never put it this way, but he was not about to be bothered by the burrs up anyone's butt.

So if a Cubmaster came to me asking for a den chief, I would get the word out to my best venturers to see if any of them could spare the time. I know one young lady who would be ideal for the job .... The thought of recruiting those lil' buggers for my crew would be the last thing on my mind. I've seen the best laid plans fall through too often.

In your case Tim, I would start calling around to every troop and crew, starting with the nearest and working your way out to a twenty minute drive away. You might need to visit a meeting and personally make your need known to the scouts/venturers. You should definitely make your need known to your sister troop, but keep an open mind.

Round here, if there is a "slippery slope" every one gets out sleds or puts on skis!