Best Wishes for Tampa and TT

Things are going great! Thanks very much for asking.

The storm is very lop-sided and moving toward NOLA--hope they do OK. Keys and Miami area and area north of us got a lot of rain but not us. Even north of us looks pretty wet. I hope Camp Flaming Arrow doen't get too much flooding. Really not even a Tropical Storm event in the City iteself. Nevertheless I and Scout-son#1 spent hours this weekend at home moving things, tying stuff down, etc to prep for a Tropical Storm. Seems that whenever I really prepare not much happens. Even the Pinellas beaches look OK--overcast but not too stormy. School is closed so my kids are happy.

Had to laugh at NBC news showing Tampa residents getting sandbags. It was at the local Y and maybe 40 folks got them--really because we got sorts of areas that flood houses on a normal rain storm. If the City is giving them away might as well stock up.

Workwise, I was pulled at the last minute from working the Emergency Operations Center for the RNC. So this week I go back to my normal paper-pushing job. I was relieved not to be doing the 12 on 12 off shifts but frustrated that I trained for 18 months and was replaced by folks with no preparation. I live and work on the edge of Downtown Tampa and so far it the RNC has been a minor inconvenient--very much like an NFL game. But the big days are Tue-Thursday. I work in the nearest Government building that is unsecured so my co-workers are nervous as we are across from a designated protest spot. Have seen a few token protesters and protest trucks--all a bit pathetic.

I feel a bit sorry for the RNC organizers the storm has really cut a lot of fun and fundraising opportunities out. I read some of the local strip clubs complained that they are not seeing the business they hoped for.

On a sidenote I was proud of Scoutson#1. He was in civics class and the boys were having a lively Romney-Obama debate. When one boy said "Obama shouldn't be president because he is black" son jumped up, pointed, and said "You dude, are a bigot! That is wrong and not a good reason". Teacher sent a note home about him speaking out in class and that him being a Boy Scout should have better behavior and set a good example. I sent back "I told him--Great Job!".

Tampa got a lot of press because the earlier predictions had Isaac skirting the west coast of Florida real close to Tampa.

Instead, it's moved out more into the Gulf, now aimed at NO.

And its been Southeast Florida that seems to have the worse of the storm so far, as we are getting flooded here with outlying bands from Isaac, even tho the center is even farther away then it was on Sunday. But we get ignored for the bigger story of NO and a possible repeat of Katrina.

Palm Beach County got flooded. Broward got hit hard, as did Dade. Several thousands in each county without power.

But all you heard about was Tampa (early on) and now NO.

Funny thing is, the bulk of the rain came on Monday. We got 2-3x times the amount of rain on Monday as on Sunday when we were under a TS Warning.

My parents in Naples (Collier), much closer to the story, didn't have much wind and rain as us. Its all about those feeder bands. They hit us going east to west on Sunday, then we seem to have a continuous one on Monday running south to north dumping more rain on us.

Only reason Tampa made the news was the RNC. I did see that the surfers managed to get some waves which is big news for the surfers around here.

Isaac was basically a non-event. Honestly, we have more powerful and dnagerous thunderstorms around rush hour nearly every day.