Neil Armstrong - Eagle at Rest (1930-2012)

He was one of my heroes. I remember that when the first moonwalk was coming on TV, it was the first time my parents let me and my brother stay up "really late" (I don't remember what time it actually was) so we could watch it. (I was 11 years old.) Although the picture was very jumpy and the sound (at least as I recall it) was barely audible and the broadcasters had to repeat what Neil Armstrong said so TV viewers could actually understand it, it was an inspiring moment. As an adult I have come to be inspired by it even more.

Scout Salute!

Two.

May the Great Scoutmaster welcome him to His campfire, there to join da other great adventurers, explorers, and teachers who have gone before us to da Final Frontier.

Beavah

A statment from his family reads, in part,

"For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

I'll be right back. I'll be out in the yard for a few minutes.....

http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/25/13479969-neil-armstrongs-family-wants-you-to-look-at-the-moon-and-give-a-wink?lite

I looked last night and started thinking ... some BSA commemoration

- do Jamboree on the Air at night with full moon?

- do a nationwide model rocket launch next Aug 5 (his birthday) or July 20 (Apollo 11 landing)?

- other ideas??

Back in the day, I had to know the names of all 7 Mercury astronauts. There was no Space Exploration merit badge. Today, it is hard to believe there is no specific requirement about astronauts. We can fix that too.

He was a hero to me, but till the day she died my grandmother never forgave him for messing up the weather with his rocket. Every hurricane and blizzard was blamed squarely on him and the rest of the astronauts. Along with anytime her TV wouldn't tune in just right. Maybe now that they are both gone he can explain it to her himself.

Sad. I had the National Geographic poster of the Apollo 11 astronauts in my room as a kid. I remember seeing the moon landing in the late afternoon (California Time)-- it was so hard to see anything. I recall putting my eye up on the screen to see if I could see better.

I remember later that day (or the next)walking around downtown of my small city looking up at the moon, people friendly, and saying things like "can you believe it". In an era that had a lot of tension and divide it was one of the few periods I remember different folks seeming together.

I was a Scout Camp Counselor at Summer Camp the day he landed. The Camp Director had to make us leave the Admin area with the TV to take the troops through Check-In and to their campsites, we didn't want to miss anything. That night instead of the normal Sunday night program, he told the staff to bring their TV's up to the dinning hall and after supper we all sat in rapt attention watching history in the making.

• 6 years later...

The first auction of Neil Armstrong’s personal memorabilia and artifacts — including fragments of the Wright brothers’ 1903 flyer the famous astronaut took to the moon and back — brought in more than $5.2 million.

Fetching the highest price — $468,500 — was an identification plate from the Apollo 11 lunar module Eagle from which Armstrong emerged in July 1969 to become the first man to set foot on the moon....his Boy Scouts field cap went for $12,000.

Approximately 3,000 lots — some consisting of more than one item — are being auctioned in three parts. Before the first three-day sale began Nov. 1, Mark Armstrong said his father’s mementos included ones “that make you think, items that make you laugh and items that make you scratch your head.”

Armstrong’s sons, Mark and Rick, put the items up for auction. The remaining lots will be sold on two dates in 2019, the 50th anniversary year of the Apollo 11 mission.

https://www.whio.com/news/what-are-pieces-the-wright-brothers-famous-flyer-worth-auction-found-out/I91ZUL8iCVLFti6TZ5xxKL/