Updated Annual Health and Medical Record Rolling Out in September

Well, I tried providing feedback at the website link provided in the first post in this topic. It's been deleted. (shrug) I guess they don't care about this obvious done deal.

Feedback was basically a summary of what nearly everyone else here said in regards to yet another change to this form.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not done a one-to-one comparison, but reading the explanation from national, it doesn't seem to be any substantive changes to the content of the form -- just the addition of Spanish, some stuff for The Summit (which effects what percentage of members?) and makes part C scanner friendly.

With no substantive changes, why is this mandatory? If I show up for summer camp with the old form, why should anyone care?

ANOTHER flipping change to the form? That makes 3 changes in a row that IMNSHO haven't helped at all. There are times when gridlock is a good thing -- and right now, I'd rather have some gridlock at National than most of the changes we've received in the past 3 years.

One thing I wish they would remove from the form, and that is the Social Security number request. National states that "may be required by medical facilities for treatment" which is not true. If it is an emergency, they MUST treat you, irregardless of a SSN or not. That is EMTALA law.

Now if it is a non-emergency, then yes they can request it for billing pruposes. But how often does a scout go in for non-emergency care during a scouting event, i.e. a scheduled surgery?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone pointed out to BSA that requiring yearly physicals from a doctor is a waste of scarce resources? My doctor thinks I need a physical once every three to five years. When I went in this year, strictly to get his signature on the BSA form, it meant he spent an hour looking at me that he could have spent helping someone who needed it. There is something of a doctor shortage today, especially among GPs.

I think the current policy is immoral. Should be once every three years, unless some condition warrants more frequent exams.

Well, I'm not going to use it.

I have a digital copy of the current form. Unless medicine changes radically for the good, there is no valid reason for me to endanger myself and my scouts by using a bad form when a better option exists.

I don't think district, council or even national events will decline our participation. They want our money.

Anyone else?

• 2 months later...

We go to Target Minute Clinic or a CVS pharmacy for our physicals. Cheaper and gets done faster. For most 11-17 year olds, who attend public school ... yeah ... it's a waste of money and time. Once every three or four years is good. ... BUT ... I'd require yearly physicals for anyone outside of normal physical and mental health boundaries. Diabetic. Morbidly obese. Prescriptions. Voted democrat.

We have some parents who have used it

--we try to update med forms at recharter in November/December, cause about half the troop don't go to week long summer camp in June, so recharter time we can get everyone to touch a med form.

The feedback from their doctors is that they hate it. It is not easy to use at all if you print it out, maybe if my dr was filling it out in pdf form, but he's not. Doctors had a hard time figuring out what goes where, basic information about vaccinations there was too much room for it,a check for if they had the disease is sufficient, you don't need room for both a date of vaccine ad a date for disease.

Feedback from the troop people who review the forms before the big outings[scoutmaster and a couple of asms]? It is hard to read. the font size is bad really really small, which makes it hard to read in an emergency and the english and then spanish makes it hard to read to find key data fas.

The home phone number is the number that automatically fills in for the emergency contact phone number--where most people would prefer it to be their cell phone number, and many leave the home phone number blank because they don't have one.

Note, one of the parents, one dr and one asm are primarily spanish speakers who gave negative critiques.

Oh and if the signature page for parents is on a different page from what they sign,

I don't think that makes it totally kosher of a legal document unless parents initial the page where it says

"I hereby assign and grant to the local council and the Boy Scouts of America the right and permission to use and publish the photographs...."

without a signature or initial on the page are you really agreeing to "I release the Boy Scouts of America, the local council, the activity coordinators, and all employees, volunteers, related parties, or other organizations associated with the activity from any and all claims or liability arising out of this participation." ??(This message has been edited by 5yearscouter)

1) IT"S TWENTY TWO PAGES. And the instructions are interspersed with the necessary parts. Real hassle to sepertely print out the fill-out and sign parts. Might be nice to arrange all the instruction pages in one place.

2) IT IS BI_LINGUAL in a particular language, but not for the OTHER languages. We have a Lithuanian family, eager to learn American.

3) IT IS VERY SMALL PRINT and despite the desire to be paperless and to electronically transmit the info to the desired agency, YOU STILL HAVE TO PRINT IT OUT for camps and doctors and Philmont taking...

4) HIPPA CONCERNS concern me. If it's on the web, IT"S ON THE WEB.

5) I like the idea of copying the Med card in the empty spaces where the Lingua Hispanica use to be.

6) Might as well combine that exam with my CDL exam and my cookstaff exam...

7) Well, they didn't ask me or my doc.