Updated Annual Health and Medical Record Rolling Out in September

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our troop has not had anyone who was primarily a Spanish speaker. We have had Scouts whose primary languages were various Indian languages and one Israeli who primarily spoke Hebrew.

The form is really, really cluttered. I can deal with any health form, so it's not a major issue, but I would rate this change as "awful". This is just surprisingly, astonishingly bad.

How many Hispanic Scouts do we have where the parents and/or doctors don't speak enough English to fill out the basic form? This is some corporate philosophy run amok.

I'm not as concerned with the bilingual and cluttered look of the form. I'm more concerned with communicating to the masses to once again discard your medical forms and go get a new one. I'm waiting for the BSA to have some partnership with doctors like we do now with the NRA and climbing folks. Will they go as far to tell us which group of physicians to use just like they have with shooting sports and climbing?

I do have spanish speaking family in my pack.

Most do not read spanish very well, but speak it fluently. So the written spanish would only be helpful if I use it to read the info to the parent so they know what goes on that line. But if they answer in spanish, I have to go find someone with more knowledge than I to actually make it understandable on both sides. If a parent writes out their child's information in spanish, that isn't going to help me keep their child safer if I don't know spanish. I know enough Spanish to be dangerous.

And again, the info on the dr page should be in english, because in the US the standard for medical paperwork is english (with latin medical terms of course). If a doctor fills out the info in spanish the BSA camp nurse/doctor will be unable to sufficiently care for the scout.

WAKWIB: I see your incompetence and raise you my own experience. Your medical form needs to be the new one and a new physical too or you cannot be on staff at this event. And they stick to their guns so tightly that even when proven wrong with calls to council and national, they just fall back to "I am requiring it" and refuse to move an inch.

It will happen all over the country. Because district leadership is where people migrate to when they like telling other people "No."

Hal, do the Scouts (and their parents) in the Vietnamese troop read and write in English as well as Vietnamese?

I think that's the issue here. In my troop there are a couple of families where the main language spoken at home is Spanish, and one where the main language spoken at home is probably Arabic, but I believe that all the parents (and definitely all the Scouts) can fill out a form in English. That's not true for everybody everywhere, though.

I am concerned that this new form is too cluttered. With two laguages crammed onto each page, it's harder to quickly scan in an emergency.

While it's a nice idea to make the form bi-lingal, I don't recall going on too many trips in the United States that required a form in Spanish because the hospital\doctor\camp heath lodge\etc did not read English.

What, if any confusion is this form suppose to remedy?

Will not have to have local event coordinator require the new forms, my council (Green Mountain) is already requiring for next year. All current unused forms are to be destroyed.

from council website:

Medical Form Update

An updated Annual Health and Medical Record (AHMR) will be available to Scouts everywhere Sept. 3. The 2012 AHMR revision will have several noticeable changes. In an effort to support the BSAs All Markets Strategy, we have developed a bilingual format. As you know, accurate medical information is vital to keeping Scouts safe and healthy at all Scouting events.

This new format will make it easier for councils and volunteers to have a completed AHMRas required for all participants. In addition, we have included information regarding the Summit Bechtel Reserve in preparation for the 2013 National Jamboree and its 2014 program. The early release of the revised AHMR (initially, it was planned for a December 2012 launch) will support the jamboree medical team by enabling all jamboree participants the chance to submit their medical information on the revised record as early as possible.

One other feature is a scanable Part C, a pre-participation physical that will facilitate electronically capturing key data for faster intake at large events and camps. As always, careful planning went into the development of the updated version, with input coming from councils, volunteers, and the Health and Safety Team. These revisions do not include any changes to BSA policy and will benefit everyone in Scouting, no matter what adventure is being planned. The revisions will also be reflected in all supporting documents such as the AHMR FAQ page. Once the bilingual AHMR and its supporting materials are launched Sept. 3, any older printed versions should be destroyed.

Please download the form from the following link, www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/ahmr.aspx Youll always find the most current information on that Web page.