Updated Annual Health and Medical Record Rolling Out in September

"An updated Annual Health and Medical Record will be available to Scouts everywhere Sept. 3. Its use will be mandated by Jan. 1, 2014.

The 2012 AHMR revision includes several noticeable changes. In an effort to support the BSAs All Markets Strategy, we have developed a bilingual format. As you know, accurate medical information is vital to keeping Scouts safe and healthy at all Scouting events. This new format will make it easier for councils and volunteers to have a completed AHMRas required for all participants."

http://scout-wire.org/2012/08/16/updated-annual-health-and-medical-record-rolling-out-in-september/

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always, careful planning went into the development of the updated version, with input coming from councils, volunteers, and the Health and Safety Team."

Gee I don't remember being asked. Have NO use for bilingual on the same form - now even smaller fonts.

A preview copy of the record can be found at: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/680-001_preview.pdf

(This message has been edited by RememberSchiff)

Why create one form that tries to do both languages?

it makes the form difficult to read for either/both languages and makes it 4 pages instead of 3. why not a form that looks just like the existing form, with everything in spanish? as long as the fields stay the same, getting information would be the same. if a unit is primarily spanish speaking, they could use the spanish form.

As a retired Paramedic I see the benefit of both languages on one form. The care giver and the person filling out the form may not share a language, but this lets them convey vital information.

As a Scouter in New Jersey, I see the benefit of making Scouting accessible to everyone.

As a grumpy old man, well, I will get over it :)

MOST health care providers in the united states read and write english and they are the ones that should be filling out part C. Making part C take two pages in order to translate it to spanish seems unnecessary. I mean I guess if the spanish reading only parent now can read the question their doctor answered on the form--but if the doctor answers in written english, that isn't going to help them. and if the doctor answers the questions in spanish that isn't going to help the unit leder or the camp medical staff (etc) be able to understand what is going on with the particular scout's medical history. The standard in the us is that the medical charts are written in english (or in medicaleeze).

let me preface this by saying I applaud Scouting reaching out further into the Hispanic community....after all, I am a gringo who speakes Spanish...but...

this form is horrible...it tries to do too much...both languages make it confusing...really...did we really need this???