Seen a number, and it's always hurt the boys most.

It gets worse when one wants the boy to move to the Troop near where they moved to and the other wants them to stay in the original Troop. Either the kid's going to tick someone off by preferring one or the other, or leaving Scouts altogether.

"I have seen Scouters load up their calendars with scouting activities to keep them away from home as much as possible. It's a socially acceptable way to avoid addressing the real problems."

I don't know any Scouter that has had a divorce directly related to Scouting, but I do wonder about some volunteers that seem to be at every event, every meeting, every campout, every conclave, every conference, etc. It is a rare marriage that can stay strong over the long-term with a spouse that is always absent.

Scouting can be addictive for those of us that enjoy it but I can tell you that I would not enjoy it for one minute if I had trouble at home that needed attention. Time to take care of the homefront first.

While at Wood Badge doing the pratical I called my wife one evening to check on things at home. She was mad at me for being on "vacation" and leaving the kids and family responsibilities on her shoulders. When I returned to camp my fellow Beavers (4 men and 2 women)sensed my being down. At this point I felt I could confide in them. When I told them my Wife was mad at how much time I was spending in scouting ALL of them said they too had had arguments with their spouses. I really enjoy scouting but can see how if it's not balanced with other family obligations it can cause problems. I've heard other scouters say it's best if your spouse is also involved but that can cause problems too.

I'm sure that any case where one spouse is involved with a high maintenance hobby and the other isn't that there will be issues. Scouts, Sports, Band...

DW (Dear Wife) used to be heavily involved in Cubs and Scouts... it definitely had it's moments ... but I was involved in Youth Baseball...so we each had our gripe points. Of course, baseball didn't involve overnight trips ...

Married couples get divorced for all kinds of reasons. While over involvement in scouting may sometimes be a contributing factor, it is more likely a symptom of a deeper problem.

There have been many things over the years in scouting that I would have loved to do, but turned down specifically to keep some balance in my life.

• 4 months later...

Another thing that doesn't help is the fact that event innocent friendships with fellow Scouters of the opposite sex can cause strife. Coming home with stories about the great time I spent over the weekend with Sally, Sue or Mary is sure different than talking about time spent with Bob, Joe or Sam.

I know a fair number of people who have got divorced.

Some who were and some who still are volunteers in Scouting.

Nearly all the people I know well are men.

So of course I'm only hearing one side of things.

While many of these guys say that their wife blames the time spent Scouting and away from the home as the reason for the split.

I tend to think that there is more to the story than what's being told.

Some try and make it sound like this is the start of a new adventure and they are thankful to at long last be free from the shackles of being married.

If that were really true? I don't understand why so many get re-married.

Ea.

I know a fair number of people who have got divorced.

Some who were and some who still are volunteers in Scouting.

Nearly all the people I know well are men.

So of course I'm only hearing one side of things.

While many of these guys say that their wife blames the time spent Scouting and away from the home as the reason for the split.

I tend to think that there is more to the story than what's being told.

Some try and make it sound like this is the start of a new adventure and they are thankful to at long last be free from the shackles of being married.

If that were really true? I don't understand why so many get re-married.

Ea.