STEM NOVA FOR BOY SCOUTS

Is this scout showing interest? If so, I would contact the District to see if a NOVA counselor has already been registered. If not, I would try to find someone willing to take on that responsibility. The counselor list for the STEM merit badges is a great place to begin your search.

My understanding is a general counselor is required for the four basic NOVA awards (shoot, start your engines, whoosh and designed to crunch). If the scout chooses to move on to Supernova he is required to work with a mentor.

Does the scout have a copy of the guidebook? Getting that into his hands is important. Once he knows the reqs and can determine which subjects he is interested in studying, it might help narrow down the choices of counselor/mentor. There is little benefit in selecting a counselor whose main interest is microbiology if the scout is interested in physics.

Have the scout look through the MBs required for the awards. If he is a strong STEM candidate he may be surprised at how many of the MBs he has earned. This might encourage him to move forward through the four awards and shoot for Supernova.

Good luck! Please keep us posted about what happens. I am curious to see how many scouts choose to persue NOVA.