A young man who represents himself and the program very well.

But what's rediculous is the $2600 bill was basically for covering someone's butt. It would have been bad enough if the Scout had been hurt rescuing the boy, but why an ER trip "just because"?

You also have to wonder about a $2000 ambulance bill. How is the ambulance more than three times the ER and physician fee? And who wants to bet the boy received a similar bill, although it sounds like they both rode in the same ambulance.

The big health care controversy around here is a suit between BCBS and the state hospital assn. When you have a CT scan, the hospital charges you a prep fee of about $600 for set up, the paper gown, prep time, etc. If they do five different scans (during the same session) they charge you five separate set up fees. According to BCBS, they're billing $16 million a year for this. If I try to bill like that I go to jail for fraud.

My $.02 worth.

1) The Scout was wearing a Life Patch on his uniform in the video I saw, not Eagle.

2) When I was teaching lifeguarding, it was SOP to get any victims to the hospital after rescue. There have been cases where drowning occurred hours after rescue. I want to say this is called a laryngeal drowning, but it's been years.

Anyway b/c in the article I read stated he did go under a few times while making the rescue, EMS may have carried him along for him to be checked out as well.

3) It is my UNDERSTANDING, caps for emphasis, that EMS charges are based by the mile. So a 1 mile trip would be, say $190 and a 10 mile trip $1900. Where's SCTDAD when we need him, he's EMS.

(This message has been edited by Eagle92)