I like it.

If we are all to live by the scout oath and law, then everyone should use them in their programs. It makes no sense for our mission to be to instill it in people and yet dance around it with other oaths.

I also think we should reduce the Scout Oath to Baden Powell's version:

I promise:

... to do my best to do my duty to God and my country,

... to help other people,

... and to obey the Scout Law.

Those are the proper three points of Oath that our three fingered symbolism represents. Note that it is the Cub Scout promise with "Law of the Pack" replaced by Scout Law.

That will make it easier to learn for all ages.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm okay with the change.

Cub Scouts currently have the "Core Values" which is a paraphrased version of the Scout Law. It would be better to use the same 12 points of the Scout Law. Cubs could have an awareness of the Scout Law at a level that is appropriate for their age.

The Boy Scout Oath is a longer than the Cub Scout Promise but would be fine to use for the Cub program. The boys can be aware of the Oath at a level that is appropriate for their age.

I found out some information on this.

The Executive committee approved this, now it goes to the Executive Board in October.

The line about the Cubs learning just the words doesn't seem to be a direct quote. The task force had some childhood education experts consulting them and they told them that the basic concepts in the Oath and law are understandable by Cub age boys. Their understanding will grow and mature as the boy matures and matures in Scouting.

Whatever changes there will be in 2013-2014, the intention is to combine all of them in one roll out across the board.

I don't care for the Cub Scout Law, sorry, the "Law of the Pack". Its very disjointed. And it skips from Cub Scout to Pack, and back.

The Scout Law sets out what a scout _is_. The Law of the Pack describes what a scout _does_. That semantic difference is lost on that age level, but its there.

I also wish there was a 1:1 coordination between the Cub Scout "Character Connections" and the points of the Scout Law, but that's another topic.

I think the one Oath initiative is a good idea and may be serving as a step to the next logical move. We get One Oath and then we have one program. Scouts America. Co-Ed and ranging from Tigers to 21 years old.

Why else would they make it one Oath if not to bring the programs together?(This message has been edited by oldgreyeagle)

OGE makes a valid point, and it's similar to the point I will make. Instead of all of the negativity regarding national comments or decisions, listen for a change and try to understand. So many here assume the big dogs are totally out of touch, they have no clue what they're doing, and if they do ... they're wrong.

For those who like to push this particular agenda ... the reason Venturers are not allowed in the OA is because it's a Boy Scout program, and they promote and live by the Scout Oath and Law. Venturers don't have the same Oath, so it's black and white. Now what? This plays into your hand.

Instead of fighting it (and I think the OP's reasoning was very odd, and the arguments were backwards), try to understand it, and go from there. There's always a negative knee-jerk reaction to national's comments. And people wonder why they don't say much. No matter what they say, there are those who will jump all over it. Relax, and listen. Change comes slowly, and this sounds like change. I'd think you'd embrace it!

BDPT00

QUESTION - Does anyone know more information about the coming initiatives for a more seamless Cub Scout-Boy Scout-Venturing program? Is there something summarizing this or talking about what's being looked into?

Well here is another:

Cubs will continue to use two fingers, Scouts and Venturing will use three fingers for salute and sign.

As with any of this, none of this is official or final until you see it in print or at scouting.org.(This message has been edited by bnelon44)

I am indifferent but in favor.

I doubt that hardly any Venturers have a strong feeling on their oath. And I don't think that Cub Scouts really care all that much one way or another. Webelos start to learn the Boy Scout version anyway. It certainly would have made things easier all those years that I had my own kids in both levels of the program.

What I'd really hope to do away with is the Sea Scout Promise, with the hopelessly outdated line: To seek to preserve the motto of the sea, Women and children first.

>What I'd really hope to do away with is the Sea Scout Promise, with the hopelessly outdated line: To seek to preserve the motto of the sea, Women and children first.

My understanding is that ALL programs Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Varsity, Venturing and Sea Scouting will use the Boy Scout Oath and Law

Sea Scouts will also use the three fingered salute and sign.

The way Tico explained it to our class(yes I was just there at Philmont) was that ALL LEVELS are members of BSA and that the One Promise for All was a way of showing we are ONE - Cubs will still use the 2 fingers and all other levels 3.

Of course they could have decided to go co-ed...Just saying-(figure I'll rile a few of you LOL)

Let's say I'm running the BSA "business" as the CEO. I see tons of kids join Cub Scouts and drop out by the time the boys become Boy Scout eligible from an age perspective. Hmmm. How can I fix this. instead of a couple of month Webelos program to transition to Boy Scouts I'll drop the last Cub Scout rank (Lion) and make the final 15 months a full transition type program to Boy Scouts - Webelos.

Well that worked for a few years but I'm still losing the older boys. The youngsters still are eager to join however, I know, I'll shift the Cub Scout program down in age by creating the Tiger Program and lowering the age requirement for joining the Boy Scouts.

Okay that helped somewhat. Now, I'll integrate the Tiger Program into the Cub Scout program and make it no longer a Pack auxiliary type program but fully integrated with Tiger just a different rank.

Okay, I'm still losing some boys so I'll slowly make it one seamless program and start by initiating a singular Oath.

When will they come to the realization that if they want to keep 15-17 year old boys interested into the program they need to make their program seem more prestigious, not add in 10 and 11 year olds into the mix.