How do you respond to people who challenge BSA membership policy?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case anyone was wondering, the event went without a hitch and was a great success. Everyone who met us on the trail couldn't be nicer or more supportive of our efforts. Not a negative word was uttered. We live in a red county in a blue state so I'm not too surprised.

Incidentally we raised over $2K for our former scoutmaster. He is currently in recovery for the bone marrow transplant but is struggling a bit so prayers and good thoughts are welcome.

tks

Thanks for the update, CA Scouter! I'm glad to hear it went well and that you didn't have any negative vibes along the way. I missed this thread for some reason. If I had seen it I would have said that you should go into it with a positive attitude and go prepared to have some nay-sayers. Just keep in line with the Scout Oath and Law and you'll be fine.

My thoughts are with you and your Scoutmaster in his time of need.

I tell them that we don't talk about sex in cub scouts.

The membership policy is a national policy, our chartered org is a service club and doesn't care and if you'd like it to change you need to join the organization.

The policy does not just exclude gay men, it also excludes gay women, even mothers of boys that would like to be a part of Cub Scouts. I'm afraid there is no justification in that for the possibility of there being a sexual predator. Of course, we allow there to be women leaders in Scouting, and there doesn't seem to be a problem with that. Which leads me to believe that it really is just a discriminatory policy. If the problem is sexual predators, then the ban should be on sexual predators - not be based on their sexual orientation.

"I suspect that we may be challenged by some folk about BSA's recent re-statement of their discriminatory membership policy.

I'm looking for suggestions for an appropriate response that is professional and informatory, perhaps with references to BSA literature and such.

What suggestions to you have?"

Any further thoughts on how to respond?

"I suspect that we may be challenged by some folk about BSA's recent re-statement of their discriminatory membership policy.

I'm looking for suggestions for an appropriate response that is professional and informatory, perhaps with references to BSA literature and such.

I like previous re-directions to the fundraiser for that purpose.

But in response to the general question posed.

"I'm just a Scoutmaster at the Troop level, I only get to affect those policies that are AT my level, Membership policy isn't one of those. National would be happy to hear from you on the subject but if you are eligible they'll give much more weight to opinions by registered members. I could use a Fundraising Chair and my Committee Chairman would be happy to hear from you if you'd consider helping the boys."