New requirement for tents in Michigan

I'm curious how various individual BSA camps in Michigan will deal with Michigan's new requirement for tents. A 06/10/11 memorandum issued by Bureau of Children and Adult Licensing of the Michigan Dept. of Human Services, entitled "Applicable Rules And Clarification Tents, Tee Pees & Other Hybrid Structures," states in Paragraph 9 as follows:

"Exiting from tents and tee pees with occupant loads of 12 persons or fewer shall at a minimum be through two remote exits that provide a net clear opening that is at least 5 feet high and 36 inches wide, do not present a trip hazard, and which employ quick release means to open such as magnetic strips, easily openable Velcro or other similar method that is pre-approved by the Department. Zippers are not an acceptable means of release for required egress openings."

I think this is an ill-advised new requirement and it would be nice if someone who has a good relationship with that Department would try to get it rescinded.

The new tents that our Cub camp just got would meet these requirements, they are basic A frame tents with velcro closures on the flaps (open on either end) and at 6'1" I can stand at the end of the tent and look out and the tents are 6' or more wide.

... and folks wonder why our country is headed to oblivion. We citizens actually elect representatives and pay our government to hire someone to think up stuff like this. Hey, what about that pothole in the road? Pay for that instead!

I'm assuming this only applies to camp-provided tents. Wall tents should meet this requirement, although Velcro isn't exactly critter proof...

A troop should still be able to provision their own tents which use zippers and have a bathtub bottom.(This message has been edited by Eolesen)

Linas, do you have a link or other source where I could find this document directly? I've just spent a half-hour searching the Michigan register of regulations and the Department of Human Services website, and have been unable to find anything that remotely touches upon that topic. And the date of 6/10/11 does not match up with the issuance dates of new proposed regulations in Michigan.

Care to share?

If anyone wants a copy of the memo, send me your email address via private message and I'll send you my pdf of the memo. I received the memo in my capacity as camp director of a scout sailing camp that we conducted this month at Camp Rakas near Custer, Michigan.

I searched for the memo on the internet as well. I think it is not online. All of the Michigan camp consultants (inspectors) have a copy, and so did our fire inspector.

Michigan has a Republican Governor, a Republican Senate and a Republican House since January 2011 - are you saying that you couldn't call on one of the GOP members to suggest that this is a ridiculous rule and ask them to put a stop to it?

rant on/

Calico, Michigan's Republican majority has been bent on fiddling away its efforts and time on many inconsequential things, this apparently being one of them. Keep in mind, we're (um) "blessed" with very, very short term limits in our state legislature and that has resulted in a lot of hyper-oppositional ding bats (both sides!) posturing and spouting off, but not much in the way of good, thoughtful, governance. And heck, since most of them will be term-limited out soon enough, they don't NEED to pay attention to voters, anyway. So nope, I doubt a call to any of the current majority folks would make a bit of difference; they're too busy foaming at the mouth about useless stuff, to pay attention.

rant off/

Camp Rakas is in Michigan, but our troop and scouts who use Camp Rakas are in Illinois, we are not constituents, and so I don't think the "write a letter to your legislator/governor" is the correct approach for us. And this probably doesn't need to be addressed at the level of governor/legislators.

You think that is ridiculous? Try this one out.

During the leader meeting when we got to summer camp last week we were told that Michigan is starting to require smoke detectors...yes, smoke detectors inside the tents. There was one campsite at our summer camp that had smoke detectors installed inside of the canvas wall tents. I could not find the requirement online when I got back from camp. Good grief, what next?