Broken Troop New SM ??S

HI All:

Thank you for the input.

Here are answers to your questions. I was asked by the CO to turn this troop around. He told me that I have counsel, district, and him on my side. I was told they have my back. Was told, I must have struck the right cord. I was told we might lose 2-3 families over this. Do your job turn them around. He can live with loosing 3-5 families over this.

I do have a boy in the troop. I can teach these boys how to have fun again.

There is a lot of potential here. If 3 families drop, this troop will turn around. The fruit does not fall far from the tree. They have 2 years left I was told before eagle, so why change things. I told them that this troop will not push paper eagles any more period.

I think this is why this started.

P

Is there a Cub Pack with some Webelos coming along?

I'd plan on a fall recruiting program to see if you can find new Scouts and families to help revitalize the troop and the adult leadership.

You might need to make it plain that if you don't get the support and cooperation of existing leaders, you will have to spend your time doing the recruiting and providing leadership to new Scouts, rather than existing Scouts.

Is there a current parent who could provide supportive leadership if they were appointed as Committee Chair? A good new Committee Chair could turn the whole committee situation around.

Go for it. Help the 3 or 4find a new troop or help them get done and gone quick. If they know the CO has your back, they will leave or toe the line. Probably better that they leave.

Get camping, quick. Start on real advancement. Get the boy leaders trained up.

See if the CC is going to support you and if not, ask the COR to replace or demote him.

Stand firm; know your job, your boundaries, and execute the program. The other good parents will force the change you seek.

It sounds better than you first portrayed! Ask for help, other SM 's will be glad to offer you good advise. And maybe some gear.

A little advice from the "seen it more times than I'd care to and am still talking to boys years later over it" section.

Don't count chickens.

Touch base regularly with the senior boys. Ask, "What did you do before? What should we keep doing? What should we ditch?"

Respect those parents in the best way you can. Find high ground. Walk it.

Like I mentioned in the other thread. If they boys do the talking, it will save you a lot of wasted words.

Your son especially is studying your reactions. He might not understand why you put up with people who don't want you around, or why you push certain issues and not others. You don't owe him any explanation now, but in a couple years, he'll ask to reflect on it.

By the time my oldest asked me, I had already time to look back boil it down for him (or anyone else for that matter) to one thing: "Highest respect to whoever does the work. Polite nods to whoever talks about it." Your personal prime directive may be a little different. But consider yourself in a fishbowl, and you're son will want to hear about it one day.

"Highest respect to whoever does the work. Polite nods to whoever talks about it." Your personal prime directive may be a little different. But consider yourself in a fishbowl, and you're son will want to hear about it one day. "

Good advice! I guess each troop has workers, talkers, and tripping stones.