The Next Generation of Scout Leadership

Depends on what type of unit... if it is an LDS unit, they'll simply appoint someone. In some wards, it falls to a retiree who is seen as having the time. In others, you wind up with someone who was a Scout as a kid, has a kid in the program, and simply was next in line for a calling. Give them the patch, send them to a couple classes, and they're ready to go, right?...

Personally, I see the "lifetime appointment" system for SM being quite dangerous... it's good to have the experience, but you wind up with a lot of complacency on all sides.

Our troop has an unwritten rule for term limits as SM --- three years, and then they turn it over to someone else. In just over six years, I'm now on my fourth SM within the same troop. Some check-out, some move on to district/council roles, and some still stay active.

So... back to the question... in our unit, the SM and CC get backfilled by someone who has been around for a couple years and have the time & commitment to serving in the position. They in turn get backfilled by new parents with the desire to do more. For the 10 years I've been involved with Scouting, that system seems to work pretty well.(This message has been edited by eolesen)

The younger ASMs and SMs do not have as much vacation time to take. If they spend a week at summer camp, there might not be any family vacation time at all for the year.

The culture in my son's troop is so that the Dad's are who is SM. we don't have any leadership in our troop that doesn't have a son in the troop.

when the SM son quit's or ages out, the dad leaves too, and somebody else is SM. my son has been in the troop for about 3 years and we are on our 3rd SM. for good or bad, that is the way it is in our Troop. I don't know if it has always been this way, since troop has been around since 1928, but at least the last few years it has.

We have lots of SMASMs in their 30's and 40's. In fact, I think we only have one ASM over 50 (though a couple of us are getting within hailing distance...). Most of us are interested in hiking and camping and trying out (or making) new gear. We're kind of an outdoor club that formed within a Scout Troop. So far, it's worked out great.

Of course, we're a new troop and our big challenge will come when it's time for some turnover in the adult leadership. We're acutely aware that we need to be ready for that.

I'm signed up for PergoWoodBadge this fall. I'm curious if they cover any sort of succession planning, seeing as how it's a class about unit organization rather than outdoor skills.

"So where are their 30 and 40 year old SM's or ASM's"

Delayed marriages and childbearing are a big factor. It's possible that the ones that are 30 and 40 have kids that are still too young. I have mentioned on this forum before that Scout Leaders today are older on average than those during the 50's, 60's and 70's. My Dad was 34 in 1973 when he took over as SM for my boyhood Troop. I did not even have my first child until I was 35 and my lastest one at 41. I'm a late-comer as a parent. I became a Cub Leader at 43, Scout Leader at 47. I'm 50 now and serving again with the Pack with my youngest son as Cubmaster.

I do think it's great to have younger, much younger leaders than myself to balance out the leadership of a unit.

Jeffrey H,

No, you won't find any unit org charts or suggestions at Wood Badge. Might prove to be an interesting ticket item or patrol project. Maybe not. Depends how it fits.

It's a great idea though for your unit to think 2 or 3 years ahead.

BDPT00