• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two insignificant thoughts:

Why do folks now-a-days say "hydrate", when for 10 million years we've been saying "drink water"....? Is it the hip thing to say?

If your pee is clear, you drank too much and your body is working overtime to get rid of the excess.

Yeah, Fscouter is right: urine is the removal of waste. Waste isn't clear.

It shouldn't look like a cup of orange juice orice tear either.

Maybe like a glass of diet green tea.

Very pale but translucent ( that's clear in layman's terms :) ) in color.

"To Gatorade or not to Gatorade, that is a question."

My older son had big issued with heat/exercise induced dehydration...when I took him to the doc, he asked is his shirt would have white salt bands at the waste when they dried, or his hat. (Yes to both.)

At that point he ordered 100% Gatorade during baseball games and marching band practice, and to tell anyone that said otherwise to leave him alone.

Some sweat out larges amounts of sodium, but others lose more potassium with that as well. Other still sweat almost no minerals.

So, if you see that kid with a white band on the hat band or shirt, there's a Gatorade candidate. Also, those in this condition should not use G2 (low calorie)...seems the sweetener is lactose based and messes with the process.

If the body is short on water, the balance of salts to water is too rich. The body can't force itself to drink more water but it does have the ability to bring the balance back to a safe and stable level. It does that by excreting salt through sweat.

If the kid would drink more WATER in the first place, his body would not need to excrete the excess salts.

The solution to the balance dilemma is to drink more water to replenish that which is used to cool the body. Gatorade (water with salt) is a cure to the consequence of losing salts due to failure to drink WATER.

Personal, (not scientific) results of reenacting in heavy, lined wool uniforms and keeping on your feet....

112 degrees, no shade, and as captain of the unit I am responsible for the welfare of the men. In 15 years of reenacting I have had only one go down on me and he was a fit 25-year old Eagle scout who followed all the directions properly. He drank the right amount of water but he still went down. His body got to the point where it just couldn't handle the heat and couldn't reverse itself. Ice packs and Gatorade brought him back in an hour.

At the big national events, one may go 2-3 hours without a water source and then it's usually packed by hundreds of guys trying to fill a 2 qt. canteen with a 1/2" opening. I always carry 2 of them.

I have found that a hat packed with ice and Gatorade works better than just water if one wishes to bounce back quickly. If I can make it on 2 canteens in 2 hours, I can stretch that to 3 hours with Gatorade.

I was a water only guy for a long time, until I came back after a long march and heavy battle scenario and I was planning on about a 2 hour recoup. Someone gave me a packet of Gatorade and I mixed it into my tin cup filled with water and chugged it down. Within 15-20 minutes I was back to normal. (with me normal is a relative term, if I was really normal I wouldn't be out there doing such things at my age.)

I now carry Gatorade packets all the time. Now at least I can carry a flavor I can tolerate.

Stosh

Looking at the chart and and all I can say is WOW.

It reminds me of when I was on a JROTC trip to NAB Little Creek and our training program was stopped because they had a Red Flag day. It was in the low 90s and 100% humidity.

So instead of doing training we played football and capture the flag to the shock of the folks on base because for us low 90s and 100% humidity was perfect weather to be outside.

At our camp they had water EVERYWHERE. Plus the staff at flags plus when we went to every station told us to drink our water. On our first full day, there was an adult down and a kid down at the same time. Both because of dehydration! I just don't get it.

Carefull on how much Gatorade you push on kids. Most sports medicine people will tell you it's drank in addition to plain old water. A 16 oz. bottle of gatorage contains 26 grams of sugar. That's roughly 4 teaspoons. Look at G2 it has about half the sugar as the high test stuff.

"People often choose Gatorade for the wrong reasons. They believe it to be healthier than water, because that is how it was promoted. But, this sports drink is only healthier if you are a hardcore athlete. Otherwise, this sports drink contains way too much sugar for the average person to burn off throughout the day. Unfortunately, many people also prefer the taste of Gatorade over water."

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-does-g2-compare-original-gatorade-836473.html?cat=51