I am hoping this is the best forum but it's hot out there and maybe, just maybe, you can help spread the word about the importance of hydration. (and no, there is not a national policy that says program must stop at X degrees).

Fun Stuff - Win a water bottle: http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2012/06/29/happy-mountaineers-create-a-hydration-slogan-win-a-limited-edition-water-bottle/

Serious Stuff: http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/HealthandSafety/Alerts/heat_index.aspx

Richard

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pass the hydro-pack!

I push hydration to both my baseball teams and the marching band.

What you hydrate with can be as, or more, important that how much you hydrate.

The folks at Gatorade and any Sport Medicine doctor are both great sources of information.

Oh...I thought this was going to be a post about baby hydras! :)

WE pushed the water issue to our scouts extra hard last week when we went to summer camp.

TRoop rule: No Crabonated Drinks during week of camp. Be a god idea to ween yourself off before going to camp.

WE provide a 5 gallon spout coller full of water and we buy a couple boxes on individulal size gatorade/ fruit aid powder mixes for the boys to use if they want.

I think I weened myself off of caffiene that week as I have drank almost nothing but water since camp.

Blech, I can't stand gatorade, etc., and it is a pet peeve when folks use a cooler for water that previously held flavored stuff (makes the water taste like the flavored stuff). Give me plain water. For most people under most conditions, that does the trick just fine.

Richard, thanks for the links. Good promo!

Thanks, RichardB. Our camp usually does a good job, but this week of camp will be brutal. Boys required to have water bottles in their possession at all times, with refill stations of ice water at each program station, including the pool and waterfront. Lots of "pool time" scheduled for units. Temps here yesterday reached 107 in some areas, with dew points near 70 (sultry). Last night near midnight, temps were still above 90 and severe storms rolled through with high winds.

A beer after playing a game of football, a long run, or a strenuous round of golf can be good for the body, scientists say.

In a rare piece of good news for those who like a pint, Spanish researchers say beer can help someone who is dehydrated retain liquid better than water.

Prof Manuel Garzon, of Granada University, also claimed the bubbles in beer help to quench the thirst and that its carbohydrate content can help to replace lost calories.

Prof Garzon asked a group of students to do strenuous exercise in temperatures of around 40C (104F). Half were given a pint of beer, while the others received the same volume of water.

Prof Garzon, who announced the results at a press conference in Granada beneath a banner declaring "Beer, Sport, Health", said the hydration effect in those who drank beer was "slightly better".

Juan Antonio Corbalan, a cardiologist who worked formerly with Real Madrid football players and Spain's national basketball team, said beer had the perfect profile for re-hydration after sport.

He added that he had long recommended barley drinks to professional sportsmen after exercise.

Previous studies have shown most alcoholic drinks have a diuretic effect meaning they increase the amount of liquid lost by the body through urination.

Dr James Betts, an expert on nutrition and metabolism at Bath University, said a moderate amount of beer might be just as good as water at helping the body retain liquid, but that he doubted it could be any better.

Dr Betts said: "If you are dehydrated to start with following exercise, a beer, as opposed to a spirit, probably does not have a high enough concentration of alcohol to induce a diuretic effect."

Printed in the Telegraph -- a UK newspaper

I know at Cub Scout Day Camp, I have some "Cub Scout Day Camp Drinking Songs" where during certain parts of the song, they need to drink water/bug juice/gatorade. etc.

Something I picked up.

Pirate Theme

Yo ho, yo ho a Cub Scouts' life for me

We're Cubs, we're the best

and we have the knack

DRINK UP ME HEARTIES YO HO

(pause for hydration)

We hike and we camp

and sometimes backpack

DRINK UP ME HEARTIES YO HO

Yo ho, yo ho a Cub Scouts' life for me

Knights Theme

late one nite when we were all in bed,

That old dragonhad a cold up in his head

and when he coughed and sneezed

he winked his eye and said

they'll be a hot time

for the old knights tonite

WATER WATER WATER

(pause for hydration.)

What are the latest recommendations on the volume of water to be consumed and the ratio between plain water and sports drinks. A quart an hour seems reasonable during periods of heavy exertion, but excessive otherwise.

Opinions seem to be all over the place and most are like belly buttons.