• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny ... I got the "taxpayer" reference...

It's not "tax" in the governmental sense, but the "tax" you pay BSA to be in Scouting, be it money, time, etc.

But I agree there too many pronouns in the OP to decipher what's real.

My mother told me there was no such thing as a stupid question....

Just stupid people asking questions...

And if you want to stay stupid, don't ask questions.

:)

Stosh

Thank you for all of your responses ! I do appreciate it. I only brought up the tax payer issue because we were approved to use the school and then the new council told us we couldn't do anything in the old councils county. We have about 32 kids that want to join the new pack. There is only about 7 kids left in the old pack. Our charter is a church which is located in our new councils county. The church will be a very tight squeeze for the amount of kids we have and for future kids who are waiting for us to get everything situated. Parents are getting very frustrated with BSA in general and feel they are not looking out for whats best for the boys!!

If you have 32 Cub Scouts looking for a new home (with hopefully enough leaders for that number of Cubs), why not form your own new pack, with a CO that has a large enough facility to accommodate you with room to grow, in whatever county, in whatever council, you want? Or am I missing something?

But, by the way, you probably should not assume that you will be any happier in a neighboring council. From the tone of your posts, I am guessing that this is far from a certainty. Maybe you should just focus on your pack.

From what I gather, they did start a new pack, and took alot of the old pack with them.

Don't know about having a CO in the other council area, and having your pack meeting in the first council.. Again, if the school is willing, my feeling is that the council has no right to say they can't.. Especially if it's a once a month pack meeting rather then the den meetings (which I would assume would be up to the den leaders to figure out.. Now if the school was their CO, they would need to be in the council it resided in..

But, I can see a council getting their panties in a bind about it.. The pack if meeting in their area, are most likely competing to attract boys from their community.. That means a dent in the councils membership numbers..

My advice would be for them to take training both on-line and in person and start figuring out the ins and outs of the heirachy of positions within their unit and within their council.. Otherwise they will probably have another blow out with this CO, COR or council.

As for where they can meet.. I would ask the new council how they figure it.. They should be working with this group, so can tell them if there really is anything about them holding their meetings in a location out of council, or if the old council is just sputtering due to ruffled feathers.

The olde charter actually dropped out so the old pack had to fine a new charter and they did.there is a lot of politics behind the scene that I'm trying to figure out . Thank you for your advise!

So how did you leave 7 kids behind in the old pack, if there is no CO there??..

Basically you could have taken All your kids and with your new CO had hammered out adult leader positions with them..

Also, if your old pack had no CO, that might explain why your old council would not make position changes.. Your whole pack was in limbo, and no one could add scouts, adult leaders or make position changes to a unit with no CO or COR to make the decisions for those position changes.

Lots of drama. Some are saying troll, but I was in a very, very similar situation as a DE way back when.

As others have mentioned, unless Youth Protection violations or some type of felony is involved, and YPT being expired is not a violation, the council cannot get involved. No matter how many folks complain, they cannot get involved.

Also only the Charter Org. Rep and Institutional head can remove leaders from a unit.

We had a group of leaders that was in driving folks out of one pack. We'd recruit 30-40 for them, and boom by December only the core group remained. And I was getting complaints as people left. Some did join other units, but most just quit. Troop was complaining because they were not getting any Scouts to cross over. Real bad mess.

I ended up having a meeting discussing the situation with the COR and although he wanted the leaders removed, didn't want to do it. And he was one of the folks complaining as he was also listed as an ASM with the troop (don't ask, I know that's not suppose to happen).

If you don't want to meet in the new council's area, and feel that you have the potential to draw even more than 32 Cubs from your own area (old council), why not just stop the drama, simplify everything, and find a Charter Organization in your old council?

Personally, to me it does NOT sound like it is BSA not "looking out for whats best for the boys".

It seems that it is more you, and your friends, with little to no knowledge of how BSA is really put together, or how it works, trying to force BSA to do things YOUR way, that is what is putting the boys program in jeopardy.

By the way - How many Packs are/have you been affiliated with? Which Pack kept the popcorn money you felt belonged to your son? Which Pack received the generous gift of 18% popcorn profit from that Pack?

Are you currently a member of any Pack? Are you a registered leader with BSA? If so, what is your registered position?

Our new charter is behind us 100% and sees no reason not to use the school.the only ones that don't want us to use the school is the old and new council. I am just looking for someone higher up to speak to. We are upset with the old council for not removing the cub master after he verbally and almost physically attacked one of our leadrers. We have been lied to repeatedly by them.we simply don't trust any of them.

Yah, this is too much of a muddle to be able to comment on, eh? I'm not sure Dszczepa has enough experience in scoutin' to have the language to even inform us of what's actually goin' on. About all I can get is that some parents are upset about something, and may have left their pack to try to start up one in da neighboring council.

Dszczepa, about all I can say is that I don't see this effort at a new pack ending well, given the lack of experience. A common set of gripes about a former pack is not the same thing as havin' the common vision, dedication and resources to be successful starting a new unit.

Beavah