Congradulations on their 100 years.. The article tried to make them look good, but to me showed, the troop needs some improvement.. Sounds like they are all about classroom meritbadges.. Aviation may be a great and rare one to get, but should not be offered that way.. I would have tossed it as a rare occurance due a rare opportunity.. but the article went on to cement that this is the norm for how they work MB's in this troop.. Sort of hits that neither troop nor reporter knew this was not something that would make the troop look good.

They do redeem themselves with the rule that parents can't go on the first year campout, in order to reduce overpowering parents that may be more prominent in the Washington area.. (although I am sure others will reverse my good bad with "can't restrict parents from going if they want too.")

Sounds like they had a few interesting times in their history also.

I congratulate Troop 52 on thier centennial anniversary. Undoubtedly, having such high parental connections through the troop's history has given it's members far more privileges and opportunities than your normal scout could dream of. The title of the article says it all - "Packed with Connections".

What other scout troop has their own 87 year old "wilderness" retreat? Has this troop been to Philmont or Northern Tier?

Quite honestly, I would have rather seen an article on any one of the several inner city DC troops that are struggling to get by and the adults (non-affluent and non-connected) who are making it happen.

Do have a question regarding the article stating they had the "first" female SPL. Not sure how that might happen, at least within normal bounds. If it is a crew, then the leader is a president. The crew would not be a part of the troop. I suppose they might have made a local decision to merge the two, so to speak, and have an overall group leader, or SPL.

Back in the day, prior to coed of course, we had explorer patrols that operated separately from the main core of the troop, including being able to do both the explorer and scout advancement programs, but they were part of the troop just the same. We also have on file a charter for a "Sea Scout Patrol" within the troop back in the 30's or 40's. It appears to have been issued by National, but is a separate charter listing the patrol as part of the troop.

Frankly, organizing along those lines might actually be a good way to re-position the program in some instances. I could see holding onto the older boys more easily if the coed function was available within the troop with the same age restrictions and leadership at least, or maybe even all ages. Of course, would need to also then make all ranks open to the girls too, which might also be a good thing.

I wondered to skeptic. I thought it was maybe a reporter who didn't quite get the information straight and was grappling with the acronyms that were unfamilure to them.. Possibly meant first ASM.. Maybe?.. First women adult leader when they were finally allowed in..