David McCullough Jr's commencement address at Wellesley High School is in the news; apparently gone viral. Certainly relevant to the discussions on whether BSA advancement should be based on what a scout can do (as specified in advancement literature), or be based on once and done (which can also be derived from BSA literature, as has been argued by some on this forum).

Here is a link to the transcript:

http://www.theswellesleyreport.com/2012/06/wellesley-high-grads-told-youre-not-special/

A quote from the address that was highlighted in this week's newsweek: ...we have of late, we Americans, to our detriment, come to love accolades more than genuine achievement.

Needless to say, there are both people that agree with Mr. McCollough's address, and people that disagree.

(This message has been edited by venividi)

What a fantastic commencement address

My favorite part

None of this day-seizing, though, this YLOOing, should be interpreted as license for self-indulgence. Like accolades ought to be, the fulfilled life is a consequence, a gratifying byproduct. Its what happens when youre thinking about more important things. Climb the mountain not to plant your flag, but to embrace the challenge, enjoy the air and behold the view. Climb it so you can see the world, not so the world can see you. Go to Paris to be in Paris, not to cross it off your list and congratulate yourself for being worldly. Exercise free will and creative, independent thought not for the satisfactions they will bring you, but for the good they will do others, the rest of the 6.8 billionand those who will follow them. And then you too will discover the great and curious truth of the human experience is that selflessness is the best thing you can do for yourself. The sweetest joys of life, then, come only with the recognition that youre not special.

Excellent...

'...we have of late, we Americans, to our detriment, come to love accolades more than genuine achievement. We have come to see them as the point and were happy to compromise standards, or ignore reality, if we suspect thats the quickest way, or only way, to have something to put on the mantelpiece, something to pose with, crow about, something with which to leverage ourselves into a better spot on the social totem pole. No longer is it how you play the game, no longer is it even whether you win or lose, or learn or grow, or enjoy yourself doing it Now its So what does this get me? '

and true.

Scouting should be the exception to this trend. Maybe the next time I hear an adult say to a scout "and Eagle looks good on your college application...", I will offer him/her a cup of STHU.

My $0.02,

I'ld like to blame it on the schools, but it wouldn't be true; I had a brain freeze - and edit option wouldn't let me edit the topic :-( oh well; I suppose it is good to be humbled occasionally.