young assistant scoutmaster

Youngmaster,

As always happens in life, every responder will have a different opinion on how you should run your troop. And there will also always be what I like to call "the noise", those ~10% of people in a group who, no matter how hard you try, will feel and express to you and others that you are doing it wrong, and that they are oh so smart and right (but never willing to step up to lead). As nauseating as they are, always ignore the noise. Ultimately it is completely up to you, your SM, and what you want to do.

The key thing to remember is that regardless of whether you make mistakes (and you will make a lot of them), you are doing something that no one else would step up to do. You have the vision, you are the leader. Your decisions will not always be popular. Be sure to give yourself the credit, forgiveness and latitude you rightfully deserve.

YIS

Having two plans of actions, Plan A and Plan B, helps me a bit. I find that larger group doing one activity together can have more drifting attention then one on one. In which case when the drifting attention starts I break the group smaller and have them either do a round robin type activity or work in smaller groups.

Also keep in mind hands on activity over lecture keeps interest better. True lecture has to take place but give it in short burst and then an activity like match up, challenge quizzes to teams and etc. that reinforces listening to what heard to answer the challenges or practice what was explained.

Instead of skuttling a trip, have a backup menu in case the boys plan poorly. Liver an onions works best but is hard to keep. Dried soups or canned stew is always a good stand-by.

Otherwise, remember those times 8 years ago when you and your buds might have driven Dad nuts? Payback has come early to you, my friend.

Leverage your connections with OA and other scouters. Go to as many district roundtables as you can. If you have the time, join a crew or young adult group so you have a chance to relieve some stress. Get fed, so you can feed.

"In other words, they more likely associate you with youth than an old adult. You're too young to fit the stereotypical image of an old grouchy guy with coffee and a sleeping disorder. "

That was funny. Keep it coming and I'm probably one of those leaders that falls into that category more than I would like to imagine.

There is great benefit having SM's and ASM's in their 20's and I applaud your efforts.