Whittlin Chip carry over to Boy Scouts?

Scoutfish

Lets look at this thing realistically, over the last decade or two the de-emphasis of the outdoor program and the simplification of advancement requirements has created generations of boy scouts who lack any real skill or expertise in the outdoors and the essential skills necessary for living in and with nature. Instead it has been replaced with classroom style instruction, Eagle and Merit Badge Mills, scouts who are rushed through the ranks to get that Eagle before they turn 15 and get interested in girls more than scouts, and so junior can put Eagle Scout on his college application forms.

The sad truth is that in order to keep pace with a 21st century technocentric world the BSA has compromised many of its principles, values, and uniqueness that has made scouting something that had been respected and special into just another run of the mill youth program. The TotN Chip truly is nothing more than a meaningless piece of paper. The more those of us in Boy Scouts allow the core scout program to errode over time the closer it comes to extinction as we have known it.

Let's make it clear that "BSA" in this context means individual units controlled by Scoutmaster, assistants, unit committee members, and parents. The national BSA council has not de-emphasized the outdoor program at all.

Classroom style instruction, merit badge mills, Scouts being rushed through the ranks to get Eagle is all done at the most local level. Individual units do those things, not BSA.

F Scouter

It has been a while thought you were retired in FLA or somewhere.

Listen for the last five years the BSA has had a CSE who personally believes and has stated on numerous occassions that camping and hiking is not and should not be the emphasis of the BSA program. I also worked for him for several years and I know firsthand ,from the horses mouth so to speak, exactly how he feels on the matter. Part of the reason is that Bob hates camping, he never came to any council or district camporees when he was the SE. Second since the early 1970's the BSA Handbook and advancement requirements have put the outdoor emphasis on the back burner. Now in out technocentric geek world the outdoor skills continue to be de-emphasized with the blessing of National.

Yes part of the blame does lie with the local units, however they are just following the lead set by the CSE and the National Office, so SNARL all you want F but you would have to be blind and deaf not to have seen the changes occuring. By the way if it wasn't for those handful of SM's determined to give their troops the real core and essence of scouting, the outdoor experience, the boy scout program would be little more than an older version of cub scouts crafts, games, etc. Unfortunately in too many troops today that has become the reality.

I'm not sure what the big deal is -- our guys will "teach" Totin' Chip on demand, especially on a young Scout's first outing.

But I like Stosh's idea of "recertification" every year. I think I'll bounce that one off our SPL and SM to see what they think.

Guy

"Totin' Chip

This certification grants a Scout the right to carry and use woods tools. The Scout must show his Scout leader, or someone designated by his leader, that he understands his responsibility to do the following:

Read and understand woods tools use and safety rules from the Boy Scout Handbook.

Demonstrate proper handling, care, and use of the pocket knife, ax, and saw.

Use knife, ax, and saw as tools, not playthings.

Respect all safety rules to protect others.

Respect property. Cut living and dead trees only with permission and good reason.

Subscribe to the Outdoor Code.

The Scout's "Totin' Rights" can be taken from him if he fails in his responsibility."

www.scouting.org