District level Boy Scout Bands

The comment that George Tikei was in a BSA Drummer Bugle band got me to thinking.

How many of you have some sort of BSA Band, District or Council wide? I had someone in my Woodbadge patrol who wanted to start one for a Woodbadge ticket item.. He said it was because he was in one in his youth and they even went to different countries to play.

Never heard of it.. But, we worked on trying to allow him to do his ticket, but it couldn't be as a committee member for a troop with not even one scout who could be in the band. Ended up having to hand him to his ticket counselor to finish up organizing the ticket.. He was still working out if he wanted to become a member of the District Committee, or start a Venture Crew. I am thankful the ticket councilor he got is excellant.

None to my knowledge. As your WB guy found, I think it would be hard to pull off, except as a Venture Crew or Explorer Post or perhaps a really quick, one-and-done band for a special event. Just too many other opportunities for band musicians these days.

My younger son is a really fine drummer. Ramping up to the last jamboree, I saw something about a call for musicians to be in the jamboree band. My son replied, but was told the band was for adults only?!?!

Well the fiddling with what he could do it under was the problem of the WB ticket.. You are suppose to do it for your registered position and unit you are registered to..

So the committee position to a group that had no musicians had no benifit to the group he was currently volunteering for.. HE would have been fine with just going out and starting a "group" for the fun of it..

Venturing would allow him to register people not registered to a troop or crew, but alot of other work, I was not sure he was committed to doing. Though he did entertain the idea as a possibility..

District Committee member - would have been a gathering to play at one or two special events.. Putting it under helping to retain youth for his district by offering a unique opportunity to interested youth members of the District.

It just was going to take more then the alloted time of a woodbadge course for him to figure out the way he really wanted to go with this idea.

I see mention of BSA Bands in the early years.. This guy wasn't that old though.. His band was probably more around the '80's.. But, he seemed to elude to the fact that they were still around, and if I surfed the web I would find them.

http://www.westtexasscoutinghistory.net/other_bands.html

I see your Jambo Band.. I wonder if my patrol member saw it.. I wonder if he plays one of the instuments they are still seeking.. That would be a great ticket item, just to try out for it.. I may email him on it.

Here is one that is still active!

http://www.scoutband.com/

As a side note, my son was just accepted into the Jamboree band for next summer. He's very excited about that (he went to the last one, as a 13-yr-old).

But back to the topic at hand -- I've had half a thought to start a Crew when both my sons hit Venturing age, organized as a band. We'll start talking about it next year sometime, if they're into it. Their troop has at least a half dozen band members in it already, and another couple of troops nearby have even more. If I were to try this, I'd try and organize not to interfere with troop programs (but the "dead months" would be marching band season, in the fall!).

Guy

About the jamboree band (sorry, I just finished reading the other notes): it is organized by a Scouter who is also a faculty member at Villanova.

The band is most definitely not adult-only; in fact, the online descriptions said that preference would be given to youth, but they had to meet the youth staff guidelines (16+).

I figured this wouldn't be easy for my son to get into; I naturally assumed all the slots were spoken for (even by "known" adults). But I was really surprised to find that he was first accepted as a staff member, and then a couple of days ago, notified that he was accepted into the band. It was really just a basic application form, and also a recommendation form either to be filled out by a school band director or a private teacher. Other stuff online said that the music wouldn't be difficult, maybe a "grade 2 or 3" (which is middle school to easy high school level), but sight-reading would be expected.

By the way, the application deadline was a couple of months ago, and like I said, notice came out just a couple of days ago. If a Scout is still interested, I would suggest sending email to the guy at Villanova right away (it isn't hard to find his contact info online -- just search for "national jamboree band" and click away) and asking him. It could very well be he does not have all his slots filled. You never know unless you ask. The acceptance deadline is today, so call or write immediately!

Also -- youth staff pricing ($425), and the dates are July 11-25.

Guy

Back in the day (70s and 80s), my council (Crossroads of America, Indianapolis) had a council band. I recall seeing them in a parade or two.

They had a storage shed at the local camp (Camp Belzer!!!!!) I think they had a bus to use for touring. At one point, I think they teamed up with the local Girl Scout council.

I'm not sure if they are still in operation.

Prof

Looks like the CAC still has a band, though the point of contact for the staff member responsible for it is blank.

Your woodbadge friend might want to call their office (numbers probably on their website) and see if they can connect him with he volunteer in charge!

Steve

By the end of the year, Circle Ten Council in Dallas, Texas will very likely have a Boy Scout Band that will be put on scheduled concerts and participate in local (and eventually national) events. It is especially meaningful in 2013 as it is the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Council's first Boy Scout Drum, Band, and Bugle Corps as well as the Council itself.

David C. Scott