Is the reward the journey or the destination?

> How do we get the boys and parents to appreciate the journey when they are focused on the destination?

Through words and actions.

Implement a program where PROGRAM is the emphasis. You will attract families that share that same emphasis. Recognize boys(and adults) for real skills and achievements; for taking the journey; even if those awards and recognitions are homegrown troop awards. Be consistent. Stand up for the progam and vision; don't cave in to pressure from those whose agenda is the destination.

I think both the journey and the destination are important, though I prefer qwazes' use of waypoints instead of destiantion.

The journey is what our life is, so it is important, but without some waypoints to guide us, it's awfully easy to either just wander aimlessles, or else to get stuck in the rut following a path someone else laid out for you, and who knows where that will go? Even worse might be getting stuck in the ruts following a path some previous generation laid out that doesn't go anywhere any more.

We need some goals to help us shape our journey, but everything has to be in perspective. I think persepective is something often lost today. It requires good judgement and the courage ot use it, two things we don't teach very well.

Anyway, the journey and the destination aren't antagonists, they're teammates. I think it says a great deal about our problems that we misunderstand that so often.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints says, and bear in mind that this is the viewpoint of a single Charter Organization, that "Scouting and Duty to God strengthen faith in Jesus Christ, character, relationships, and skills. In addition, they provide opportunities for young men to develop abilities that are essential to the priesthood ministry to which they are called, such as leading and serving. ... Scoutings outdoor program is part of its message of self-reliance, but its more than that. Its a relationship-building program in which young men work with each other and with their advisers, doing things that stretch them physically and emotionally. It puts them in contact with nature, freeing them from the distractions of a world that is growing increasingly noisy. And it allows them an opportunity to commune with the Spirit and to reflect upon their lives and their relationships, including their relationship with Deity." Referencing a 50-miler trek, "When we do and teach hard things, we bring young men to a level of competence and confidence that prepares them for the future..."

"So explain to me what the journey and destination of Youth sports???????"

As with most things, it depends on why you are doing it...

If you want to be an athlete on the professional level...yes, there are still 6 year old kids who dream of being MLB baseball players...then youth baseball is part of the journey to get to that destination, as misplaced as it might be in most cases. (Just as Eagle scout is for a majority of the boys who start in Cubs.)

If you are like my son, you play youth sports because you like playing the game for fun. It is neither a journey, nor a destination for him. He plays baseball in it's purest form, for the fun of playing ball. Just as his old man did. He doesn't know his batting average, how many fielding errors he's committed, or how many times he's struck out this season. And he really doesn't care.

With youth sports, the journey is the enjoyment of the game. The continued improvement of skills while building on existing skills. Being motiviated to improve by the desire to win a game, (or get a hit, or catch a fly ball). Learning to be depended upon and to depend on teammates. Learning to handle a loss by picking yourself up and spending time improving skills, and trying harder next time. In summary, many skills that will be useful in life.(This message has been edited by venividi)

When I teach knots, I tell the real world applications for most of them. Square knot, that's what I use to tie my boots, since when you torque it, it'll become a slip knot. Tautline hitch, I've used that to tie down a load when I don't have ratcheting straps. Bowline, there're better knots for every possible use, so learn it for tradition's sake, but then forget it and never use it again. ;)

"When I teach knots, I tell the real world applications for most of them."

That's certainly useful if your in the outdoors a lot.

My knot need is pretty limited....tying my shoes is about it. The only other thing I tie much of is wires, and I use zip-ties for that.

There is nothing wrong with focusing on a destination.

My older son went with me to Yosemite for some backcountry work a couple of years ago. I would stop for views, he would take another peak. I would take some photos, he would get out the map to nail another achievement. At one point he did a 23 mile hike with a buddy, just because he needed that for Hiking MB. He, like many young men, is and was completely focused on the achievement badge.

Now, though, ask him about the trip. He does not talk about the peaks, he mentions what he saw. The 23 mile hike is a story of river crossings, swamps, rotten logs, and bugs. The trip is all about his experiences. He was on a journey, he just didn't focus on it.

Eagle can work the same way. Yes, some boys and parents focus on Eagle for the achievement / destination. Great - if that brings me a couple more Scouts for the Troop, I openly accept them. Along the way I will counsel them on a Merit Badge, or through a tough POR. They might be focused on Eagle, but they served as a Patrol Leader and learned how tough it is to have leadership over your peers at times. At their Eagle ceremony, their speech always has something interesting to learn about their journey.

So if you want to take some boys hiking and they are not sure if they are into it - you make the achievement the focus. "We can hit every top peak surrounding our part of Southern California!" All of sudden, they are jamming on the destination, but getting a great journey along the way (whether they realize it or not).

I'd rather have a boy earn First class and stay until he ages out than to be 13 and "Eagle Out"

Eagle is not the goal. Eagle (And other recognition) is a tool to get boys toward the goal.

The Goals are Instilling the following in the boys:

Growth in moral strength and character

Participating citizenship

Development in physical, mental, and emotional fitness