Remember you can also recharter "late." I forget how many days a charter can be lapsed before they drop a unit from the rolls but I think 45 days may be right. If the charter is due 12/31 I think you can continue in an insured state until 2/15 or thereabouts. Let your DE know now what's about to happen so he knows that he may need a waiver for less than 5 on the charter or to expect a late charter so his commissioner henchmen don't nag you for the charter.

Since you have a plan in place to "save" the unit, I'm sure the DE will be on your side. Also, if the troop does not have a commissioner in place ask, nay, demand one from the DE/DC. You will need and want that extra mentoring to get the unit up and running.

Edited to add: it may be 75 days. We just went through it as we had a 2/29 recharter date for most of the district and a few units dropped not due to low numbers but YPT paperwork. I don't remember if the drop dead was 4/15 or 5/15.(This message has been edited by 00eagle)

We've often have had scouts join a boy scout troop and start working on rank and having fun,

and then go back for the blue and gold official ceremony,

or especially when some packs seem to have their crossover ceremonies late in the year--April or May. Boys are DONE with Webelos stuff and just want to start being boy scouts but the pack isn't accomodating. of course some never go back for the ceremony once starting on boy scout stuff, but many go back, get their applause and ceremony pictures and then continue on their scouting way.

bokris, sounds like you have a plan. All in all, I agree that the simplest way of doing things is to recharter with waiver (if needed) and then just have the boys join you when they cross over. And you have some back-up plans if that doesn't come through.

Good scouting to you!

To 5yearscouter: I am surprised that those packs that do not "cross over" until April or (especially) May have not had a "revolt" on their hands from the parents. There is no reason to keep the "graduating" Webelos around so long, especially if they don't want to be there. And most people I know recommend being done with Webelos and immediately getting active in a troop in the "traditional" February-March time frame anyway, mainly because it allows the Scout to go on two or more weekend camping trips with the troop before they have their first full week away from Mom and Dad at summer camp.

Good info and some fine suggestions. Seems, as always, that one like this depends a lot on the folks involved.

My own experience suggests maneuvering around the District/Council staff involvement any way you can. They usually have a tendency to muck it up and cost you a lot of unnecessary time and effort. I have carried in my SM notebook (and am now carrying) a lot of crossover registration forms already filled out and signed so the boys can be Boy Scouts while they wait on some laggard adults to get the AoL ceremony fulfilled. Makes the parents feel good, and that is worth a lot.

Good SM's know how to make the system work for them, even when it is stacked the other way! We're here for the boys. Let the rest of it ride on someone else!

Every DE worth his salt would want you to preserve that unit. What?! They want to cut their own throat? Fat chance!

Maybe take care of it your own way and keep the DE in the loop. Hate the expression, but a "Win/Win" might be possible!

If you want to soar with the Eagles, you have to get above the crows!!

(This message has been edited by smalltroopsm)