gsdad, can you give me an exmaple of a prank where no one is physically or psychologically harmed, or humiliated?

I thought the fun was in watching the person realize he had been tricked and their reaction

The huge wooshing sounds coming form this thread has to the be points each side is trying to make going over the other sides head. My perception of pranks is negative, we have others who say they are fine. Just as I would not expect a birther to accept the Obama presidency by anything I say, I do not expect anyone to read my thoughts and say, oh, I see, we shouldnt do that.

The best I can hope for is the units that do pranks watch and make sure they are "in good fun" and "everybody knows it was just a joke". I wish you all good luck

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we were lucky in my boyhood troop in that our leaders had a good read on who could or could not handle it. I find it hard to believe those against pranking others have never participated in it.

"I find it hard to believe those against pranking others have never participated in it."

I've been "pranked", and laughed at, and poked, - and no, I've never participated in that kind of "harmless fun". I think it's a kind of sickness that anyone gets pleasure out of putting another person into that kind of stress just to watch them squirm. Kinda like pulling the wings off a butterfly or burning ants with a magnifying glass. Look at that butterfly try to fly with one wing! Ha ha.

But if Jesus did it, then it must be OK.

Ok, we seem to have reached the understanding that neither side of this debate is going to convince the other side, so lets get back to the point of this thread.

"What does everyone consider to be an acceptable prank? I am looking for specific examples of pranks you have seen at scouts."

Here is one the scouts pulled on another JO and I yesterday. We were teaching a group of them how to throw throw a ring buoy down on the dock. The gate on this dock requires a key both directions. The scouts got called up to the base to help clean up a couple things, so they went on up say they were going to be back in a few minutes. They took the only key with them thereby locking the other JO and I onto the dock. They also took my iced tea and left it just outside the gate, just out of reach. :D

I have reread back some and I notice that the discussion seems to revolve around the specific act, the "prank" or "joke". Whether it was physically harmful, or demeaning or dangerous.

I think what is missing here is the INTENT, both the prank initiater's (prankOR ?) reason for doing it and the victim's (prankEE ?) perception of why he was singled out for this "learning experience".

If the prankor(s) make it clear that the prankee is now part of the crew and hey, we love ya, ya big dummy, then less harm done. If, however, the prankee perceives that he was the center of a mean spirited entertainment, accomplished purely for the laffs of the prankor, then what has been accomplished? Less loyalty, more resentment, a desire for revenge, lesson learned NOT to trust those blankety blanks? This is Scouting?

There was a concept in psychology popular a few years back called "Cognitive Dissonance". In this, if a person is required to go thru such ugly, embarassing activity, that he must convince himself that the organization he wishes to join MUST REALLY be worth it, regardless of any other values inherent there-in. The fraternity might be in a decrepit house, inhabited by dangerous miscreants, but the initiation I just went thru makes it necessary to REALLY feel that Alpha Omigosh HAS to be the absolute BEST house on campus.

Is that what we want a young TFoot to go thru?

What is our intent? What do we want our young Scouts to feel IS our intent in wanting them to do certain things?

Ok - yes, pranks and sex are in the same category... whatever! Can't reason with the unreasonable...

Pranks I have seen, been victim of, or done to others (in Gasp! a Cub scout unit)...

1) Our Oct meeting, the boys wear their Halloween costumes instead of uniforms. I'm follically challenged (thats bald for the non-PC types out there). I was CM and my ACM showed up in uniform wearing a flesh colored skull cap and told the boys he was dressing as Mr. Dean the CM for Halloween! I'm sure I'm scarred for life now, as is all the boys in my unit!

2) After giving food safety briefing at local scout camp (keep it in a plastic tub, or the racoons will get it) we placed a racoon cap with tail hanging out of a cubbies bag when he didn't properly stow his trail mix. Funny, and a teachable moment.

3) Telling "spooky" story at campfire, one adult sneeks off into the darkness and waits for line in story when the "boogy man" is chasing the campers... he comes running thru camp screaming.... works even better if you have ragged clothes for him to wear. Granted ALL parents were briefed so they could choose if they wanted their son to participate of not.

4) Various articles of clothing ran up flag pole when left unclaimed in camp. "Hey, who's jacket is this?" before morning colors. Again, funny - yes maybe a little embarrasement, but they won't leave their stuff laying all over camp anymore.

5) Best one of ALL time. Night hike at family campout. We have a mix of city and rural folks in our unit. Scout camp has ranch land adjacent to it... Mom of cub was FREAKING out because she "heard" sometime off to the side of the trail. We go about another 10 feet and a ranch cow lets loose a huge Moooooo! Mom just about crawls up a tree! Now, the cubs always ask her if she would like to go on another Mooooonlit hike! I got to give BIG credit to the boys as they came up with that on on their own :)

6) I have helped turn tents around in camp. This is a fun one. Unit going on a little hike or to the range and you volunteer to stay in camp and watch the stuff. Unstake someone's dome tent, rotate it 180 degrees, then see how long it takes before they notice the door has moved to the other side!

In the words of the Saregent in the movie Stripes " Lighten Up, Francis..." have a little fun and learn to laugh at life's little gaffes. Sheesh.

Guess you just have to know your scouts and families and who is "in" or "out" on this type of thing.

Dean

• 2 weeks later...

Snipe Hunting, ghost stories then "haunting" the tent, stringing a cot up in the tree

only acceptable to me as the SPL if its to a scout or group of scouts that will take it well and not get upset

destructive or potentially harmful pranks (saran wrapping kids to cots, baiting tents for wildlife) is NOT ok to me and the offender will be punished