When things go viral....one little things builds into another, and builds into another, and builds into another, each increasing in severity, because the boys seem to build upon the bad things that happen, have a troop meeting, by the SM, assisted by the SPL, to "lay down the law" and set things straight. It can be used as a teaching moment as well.

On one off things, see if the SPL can handle it, with some advise if necessary.

Since "discipline" is the training necessary to prevent future bad behavior, I would say that training should be led by the Scouts (with the usual supervision and coaching from the adults). If they're looking for ideas for what that training should be, I'd suggest the entire troop learn what it takes to clean up such vandalism and perhaps some additional practice in how to clean anything else which needs it.

Of course if you really mean "punishment" that's a different deal, especially since the perps are unknown. If they were known, punishment would be up to their parents, not the troop and certainly not the youth. The troop adult leadership may decide that since the perps are unable to behave as Scouts they should take a break from being Scouts for a time. I also think making amends for their wrong doing requires making things right with the patrol whose gear was damaged.

I read over this post and decided to post my opinion.

Discipline?

There's 2 choices:

If someone saw him do it and he admits guilt.

#1 - Send him home for a month of meetings.... or

#2 - Hand him sand paper/paint to make it right.

His choice

If no one saw him actually do it, and NO ONE ELSE admits guilt.

Hand every Scout, other than the Patrol whose box it is,

sand paper/paint for some cheerful service.

I think it's a non-issue ... nobody was hurt or humiliated. It was an innocent prank, and should be encouraged (depending upon which units condone that kind of thing, of course). It will happen in real life, and the offended patrol needs to man-up. It's a growth experience, and now they can do it to the next patrol (the Snipes!). Sounds like a fun tradition, and it originated with the boys. Leave it alone, and see where it goes.

BDPT00