Fat Advisors - Physically Strong

Fat people should not be allowed to be Leaders!

Smokers should not be allowed to be Leaders!

Non-US citizens should not be allowed to be Leaders!

Non-members of the CO should not be allowed to be Leaders!

Women should not be allowed to be Leaders!

People who did minor crimes in their youth should not be allowed to be Leaders!

Old people should not be allowed to be Leaders!

Young people should not be allowed to be Leaders!

Non-parents should not be allowed to be Leaders!

Non of these people have anything of value to teach the boys!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is awesome. It's cool to hear folks weigh in (er, so to speak) with their own stories of motivation and success. I am also a big guy (6'5" tall), and decided to drop some of the extra weight a half-dozen or so years ago, as I was nearing 300 (am down to somewhere between 200-210 these days).

My oldest son is a Tiger Cub this year, and I've had a great time becoming one of the pack leaders. While the rest of the leadership cadre is more or less fit and in shape, I've noticed that even some of the older boys are looking a little round for their age. In some cases, it's also not hard to spot the parents of those kiddos since, well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

(The Tigers and Wolves are still full of that high-intensity energy that wears us all out.)

I've suggested that we incorporate a bit more physical activity into our program for the upcoming school year, in the hopes that the cubs will take an interest and some of it might rub off on the parents as well. For those looking to do something, chances are that there's a 5k race of some sort in your area (they happen almost year-round) and that might be a cool "challenge" goal for leaders, parents, and/or scouts in your unit.

Nice to see discussion about the issue. Physical fitness should be a part of everyone's routine, leaders, scouts, and parents. Got to make sure we look good in those uniforms. :)

Papa,

I was down to 180 and couldn't stay there to save my life. It gets harder and harder each "yo-yo". But if it wasn't for scouts I wouldn't be walking as much for work. Now I think a mile or two is no big deal, folks think I'm nuts. But then I think "well its not 10 in a Swamp with a Pack".

I really don't eat many calories anymore, maybe 1000-1400 calories a day. I will gain weight on camp food. (But I ate enough for 3 lifetimes before that)

But I have had this battle since I was a Cub Scout.

Now Dutch Ovens are my nemesis.

Welcome to the forum RumRunner! Speaking of a 5k, how many councils out there sponsor a 5k or some sort of run? Since we promote physically fit, wouldn't it make sense? Our troop and a few others I know do work a number of runs as a service project. Why couldn't a council sponsor a run as a council fundraiser while at the same time encouraging their members to particpate?

I like the concept of a council or a unit 5K, if anyone has seen an example, please add it to the thread.

I have a friend who ran the Boston marathon a few years ago in his scout shirt. :)

At 5'10" and 240 (BMI red zone)now I'm definitely in the obese column on the BMI charts but my doctor and other medical pro's have said repeatedly that that is an insurance actuarial thing and shouldn't be used to determine "healthiness" longevity perhaps, but not healthiness.

The only time in my life I have been at a healthy weight(green zone) according to those BMI charts was before boot camp( when I ran 10-15 miles a day, 6 days a week) but then they packed 35 lbs on me(which put me in a solid and ripped amber zone) - Now I've always carried radios and batteries, or tools, in addition to my basic load or taken my turn with the mortar baseplates when I wasn't packing a radio, and there is no doubt that losing 20-30 would be good for me and get me into the extreme high end of the yellow zone but even my doctor says it would be either impossible to lose enough weight without cutting muscle or doing something else that would be a bad idea to get back into the "green " zone on the BMI. Philmont at 219#s two years ago, and carrying 50# was easy, except for the west side ascent of Phillips, but even the 16 year old stud went straight to bed after that and he was only packing about 30/35# up to that dry camp...

So I guess my question is Physically Strong, Fit, or ... cause I am currently doing all three according to my DR. although he'd like to see 20 come off.

I guess I'd have to separate the two issues slightly.

On the one hand we can have a referendum on the BSA's actuarial tables. I'm also not a fan, but to make it work, I got myself under the maximum, because there really was no choice. I do agree with the idea of some maximums though as I remember plenty of Phil-Sars and several people dying at Philmont. Not what anyone expects when they head off on their trek.

To me, the bigger issue is just the general integration of physical fitness and self improvement into scouting. From what I've read on this thread, its something that many of us are concerned with, whether or not we want to be shown a chart. Everyone has their own challenges, but being able to backpack, climb a rock, swim, row a canoe or ride a bike helps make scouting great.

Cito, I think we're in basic agreement.

I'd like to lose the 20 but am having a hard time doing so, it's coming off but just at a much slower rate than I could do it in my 30's.

And there's no question that there has to be some kind of limit and the BSA table is really as good as any. And when I got to Philmont in 2010 the Med lodge folks were interested in not only the number but how you were acclimated, and your general appearance as it relayed to health, I got the impression I could have slid by with a couple of extra pounds, but of course they'd never actually say that. It would be bad policy for when they did need to hold the line...

But I have to also say that st some point those who have never had to struggle with a weight limit can occasionally come off as very judgemental and condemning, which is really annoying when you consider that you could in my cases numbers be dealing with someone who has no aerobic capacity and 60 lbs of adipose tissue, or someone who still walks down 15/16 year olds and could lose 15/20. But because of the numbers gets treated like the former.

I'm not over weight. In fact I weigh the same now as I did when I was sixteen.

I walk about five miles a day with my dogs.

But I have a bad back.

Having had several back surgeries I don't see or consider myself as being physically strong.

Working with younger Scouts isn't a problem, but I'm sure that when it comes to older Scouts I'm having a hard time keeping up when kayaking and canoing.

Just when I think that I'm about ready to be put out to pasture I remember who it was that introduced them to this stuff to start with. - Then I think I'm good for at least another 50 miles.

Ea.

A Scouters' most important job is to set a good example for his boys.

If you're fat, that's the example you set right up front. Any other vice, smoking, drinking, womanizing, etc.; is not as apparent on you as being fat. It's right there for all your boys to see, all the time. If you're trying to preach 'physically strong' while waddling around the AO, what's that corpulence done to your credibility?

Granted, I'm not very gravitationally challenged at 6'2" and 217 lbs. But I want to get down to 205. What's my motivation? 12 pounds! 12 pounds of extra gear I can haul in my pack if I'm carrying 12 pounds less on my arse!

Buck up, men. If you can't do it for yourself, do it for your boys.

This is not a BSA problem; it's an American problem and it's getting worse.

For all those that have taken steps to improve your life, I congratulate you.

For those that need to improve their lifestyle; if being a leader motivates you to take steps then that's great. Find something, improving your health, doing it for your family, preparing for Philmont to get you started. Often the hardest part is getting started.

Ya know I am a big old wide body.....

Not going to make excuses about it....

In a neighboring council on district holds a huge backpacking event every 3rd year.....two years ago my son and I participated...... Not having an understanding of the event we showed up late and got a late start.....

But ya know pretty soon we were passing a lot of folks on the trail. Lets just say a lot of adults who were a lot younger than me and probably half my weight, tongue hanging out completely spent....they weren't even half way yet......

just because your thin or the correct weight is not an indicator of fitness.

Generally it is.....but not always....