Fat Advisors - Physically Strong

When I worked at Philmont it was pre-weight limits and we referred to the large ones as "fat advisors". You really hoped that you didn't have to help carry one off Mount Phillips and they were the ones most likely to have a heart attack.

I live in a very fit place (Denver) and yet when I go to scouting events there are a large percentage of the crowd that is heavier than the general population. Scouting actually takes a degree of physical fitness which makes it suprising. Its pretty clear in the Scout Oath that we're supposed to be physically strong and I've personally taken that to heart and lost a fair amount of weight to better myself.

What do you guys think about the weight of adults in scouting and if its an issue?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have recently begun trying to lose weight (6'6", 320lbs) and one of my motivations is that I want to be a better example to the bus that I am leading, I would not pass judgement on someone for being overweight, as there are many mitigating circumstances that can be factors, but we should all strive to be in deed what we declare by oath.

Sure it's an issue, and it's an issue for me.

The last Troop I was with did a moderately challenging backpacking trip which I wasn't on. The Scoutmaster was overweight and he really wasn't fit enough to do the trip safely, and he struggled mightily and excessively.

I suspect that an effective way of dealing with that kind of issue is to have a tune up hike or backpack trip which will make it obvious who is fit for a challenging trip and who is not. That should allow a conversation to take place about that.

It's not unusual for people, youth and adults, to overestimate what they can do.

It's a valid issue, not only in the sense of being physically strong, but the image of scouting overall. The public has a perception of scouting for good or ill. Same as when you see an overweight cop or service member.

But I say that with a sense of reality, because as a career military guy nearing retirement, with each passing year I realize how darn hard it is to not only present a fit image in uniform, but to be physically fit as well.

It's about being healthy, active and a good role model for the scouts, and those outside of scouting.

Sorry, I only used fat in a historical context. Of course it all sounds better than the fun BMI chart insult where half the population is "obese".

Whatever we call it, I'm hoping that as a group, we can all strive to improve our healthy and the image of scouts as a physically fit group.

Hey, I'm not getting fat...My clothes are magically shrinking, must be something in the washing machine!

I know I could stand to lose about 30 lbs myself, especially if I want to be a crew advisor for our next trek to Philmont in two years. Our Troop is blessed to have a SM and ASM's who are physically fit and try to set the example for the boys. It shows as well. We do do more backpacking trips, more HA trips, and yes, maybe taking more physically challenging trips than some others do. I've seen those same troops that aren't very active that do the plop camping, and that's the extent of their physical activity. (WHEW, We made it 100 yds from the trailer...All right boys, let's set up here!)

It does make a difference as well. We have a number of boys starting on their varsity teams for their schools. And the non athletic ones that chose band, are in just as good of shape as the football players. (You try wearing a band uniform, and playing an instrument on a Friday Night game in September, here in Texas. Not pretty, and those uniforms don't breathe AT ALL!!)

We do owe the boys the ability to take them places they haven't been, and see things they haven't seen. Our troop has learned from it's share of mistakes as well. Myself and another ASM had set up a trip for just the new patrols. This was their final campout as the new boy patrols, before the next group of boys that were joining. For the most part, the boys did great on the hike that we took. Some were not so prepared, with not bringing proper water bottles and such. Our mistake, was letting some of the Dad's go with us. It was over 100 degrees out, and we were hiking through some ugly terrain, lot of rocks and dry river bed stuff. Dad's weren't prepared for that kind of work, and we spent more time trying to keep the Dad's from suffering heat exhaustion than anything. After that, we learned not to schedule those types of hikes in August, and for the visiting Dad's, they sit in camp and watch from a chair. If they want to participate, they better have some physical activity plan going on before they come. I will say this, at least 1 dad took that trip to heart and has worked his tail off to drop about 65 lbs. It certainly opened my eyes to being better physically prepared for trips, or choosing to not go on certain trips because I knew I would be the burden to the troop if I went.

I think I'm a terrible example...I tell my boys to stay active, eat healthy, or your going to end up being a big fat slob like your den leader (and father). In one more year I have got to be fit to take my den out when I'm a Webelos leader. Now I know that we'll be in a lot of drive up camp sites, but I'm hoping to do places like Oyster Point (Croatan NF), Morrow Mountain (Uwharrie), heck even Carolina Beach SP has a 3-4 mile loop through sand trails. So I have to get in shape.

I can tell you being overweight sucks (fatigue, lethargy, pain). But it's also a lot like alcoholism. Proper nutrition means making proper choices and those choices are what we are asking the boys to make.

My brother in law was one of the most physically fit guys I knew. 6 foot 3, not a bit of fat, strong as an ox, worked a physical job 12 hrs a day as a diesel truck mechanic. Died in his sleep last Sept at age 50, leaving us his 17 year old son to care for. I think the 2 pack a day habit had something to do with his massive heart attack. If we go down this path, where does it end? Or is it all about "apperances"???

Drop the cigs and drop the fat. You only have so much time with your kids, and you don't want to spend it waiting at the trail head.

I'm sorry if that doesn't sound politically correct, but I'm not talking about dropping any old "weight." I could shed 30 pounds of fat, and that would translate into being able to carry some awesome gear in my pack, hiking some "weightier hills", not worry about mud-weight from bogging, etc ...

Burn fat. If you shed 30 pounds of muscle in some screwball fad diet, that does your unit no good.

Restore lungs. It really stunk for a couple of dads when I had to resort to "plan C" for our insertion into a wilderness recreation area and they realized that on day 2 the younger boys were not returning to base camp because the trail heads were still a mile uphill and the boys were hiking in another 2 miles beyond that! (Thank God the SM had that bariatric surgery and one other dad was fit.) It doesn't sound like much, trading in a lifetime of smokes for four miles through rocks and bogs and a night in the middle of nowhere. But, when that night is a chance to watch your boy grow and lead, it could mean the world to you.

One of those dads has since sworn off smoking.

My big motivation for losing weight was high adventure scouting and wanting to be able to keep up with my kids for the next 20+ years.

I'll tell you what I did that helped and maybe there is a version of it that can translate to your group of scouters.

I had set a goal to lose about 40 pounds before woodbadge in August. Its at Philmont, so we all have to meet the BSA's BMI chart. I went ahead and paid, figuring that it forces me to lose the weight or lose the money.

I brought up my desire to lose weight at work and suddenly had about four more people in the room open up that they had the same goal. Then I emailed it out and got four more volunteers. So we set it up as a challenge with a weekly percentage lost report. In the course of 16 weeks, people reported from 5-16% weight loss. I met my goal and am now pushing past it.

As an office, several people also ran a 5K and we're now planning a 14'er climb in late summer.

So, long story short, if you can get a culture of competition associated with weight loss, and a physically demanding campout on the horizon, you may be more successful.

I have a dilemma here. By the charts I am overweight for my height. My heaviest should be around 207, but I am 210. I also have diabetes. For some reason I do not lose weight as I exercise. The disease goes in and out of control due to something my doctor calls Insulin Resistance. I don't overeat. My wife sees to that. But is is extremely hard for me to lose the pounds.

I went to Philmont in 2005. I went down from 210 to 202. Everyone else in the crew was dropping 20 or more pounds, but not me.

Two years ago I started to walk to work. It is a 3 and a half mile walk from my house to my work, and for 4 days per week I walk it to and fro. It is a good time to listen to audible books on my mp3 player, as well as scouting pod casts. This has made me a good hiker, and I find a good walking pace comes easily now. But I do not lose weight.

It is discouraging because I will not pass the weight limits the BSA is imposing, and I see no way around the limits. I probably would not be permitted to do Philmont or the other high adventure bases, and I foresee the day when regular summer camps will do the same.

Let's see...no atheists...no homosexuals...no fat guys...who can we go after next?

Tampa, congratulations-seriously. I admire someone who can do that. My experience, after a year on Weight Watchers, has been more like allangr's. That first 20 lbs came off easy, then I've been stuck, in spite of sticking to the program and leaving half my "points" on the table (so to speak) every day. I estimate I'm under 2000 calories a day and am not losing weight. I did get my A1C back down to where the doc is no longer threatening me with meds and daily finger sticks, but I would like to lose another 50 lbs or so. As long as I'm chained to a desk all day, it probably ain't gonna happen. Oh, and I've been the "fat kid" since first grade and at age 58 am still amazed at the people who think it's ok to comment on my size. My parents were overweight and my mom was diabetic, and both died before age 70, so I have no delusions of living to be a ripe old age. Sometimes genetics IS a factor.

I don't think it is just in scouting. Take a look around your office or church and you'll see the same thing. I was at an NYLT staff development meeting yesterday and looking around the room at the adults, I noticed that I was the only one who wasn't straining my shirt buttons. That didn't used to be the case. I'm 6'2" and was sitting at 298 when I finally decided I'd had enough on February 6th. As of this morning, May 7th, I weighed in at 268. I'm doing it by making smart food choices and portion control and in 10 lbs mini goals. I'd like to get back down to 200, but that is an ultimate goal. I'd be happy if I can make it to 230. I will say this, losing weight can be very hard depending on the person. It is one of those things like smoking where the person involved has to want to for themselves. No amount of nagging, reminding, coaxing, etc. will lead a person to lose weight. It takes each individual getting to that one singular moment of being tired of huffing and puffing walking up steps, not being able to bend over to tie your shoes or dreading getting on your knees because you know how hard it will be to get up without something to hold on to. I finally hit that wall and had had enough. I will say this, having my son out of scouts and off to college has certainly helped. Instead of worrying about feeding a growing boy, we can more easily perpare foods that work better in our diet. Not running across town for scout functions 3 or 4 times a week plus campouts certainly helps too. It was always easier to "grab something" on the way there or back. I suffered thru the last two Jamborees as an ASM and have not planned on going to the 2013. If I did, it would be as staff. The nice thing is, if I stick to what I'm doing, I'll actually hit the BMI by the end of this summer or early in the fall. I feel so much better than I have over the last 10 years or so. I knew I would, I just wasn't in the place yet to do it. A word of advice, if you notice someone losing weight, praise them. It helps strengthen their resolve when people notice.