I do want to stir up discussion, and I'm not worried about myself. In fact I started this thread so I get to take on everyone at once. :) Not really, but if it comes to it.

The original point of my thread was that I notice a fair number of people post less than five times, get a big thread that goes really sideways and then they never post again. Maybe they got their answer and they were done, maybe they got buried by some of the responses.

This thread has taken an interesting turn. I think my original question was basically what topics will immediately get negative reactions. Then it became a referendum on why don't I want to argue.

In any case, you're stuck with me. I'm a contrarion and a devil's advocate so I'll do what I can to make it more interesting. I will try to help the new posters get the answer they were looking for and argue where necessary.

Yes Eagle 732, agreed, I almost named the thread "Scout Law - Points 3-6" but didn't want to be too condescending.

I do appreciate the lively discussion and its great that people are so passionate about improving Scouting.

I think that everyone here wants the best for their units and Scouting as a whole. It's just that we all have different ideas on what that is. We need that in our program to appeal to a wider audience.

If it wasn't for sore subjects, us idiots wouldn't have anything to blather on about!

I did notice that a lot of posts on this thread are being posted by those who tend to lurk a bit. It's nice to see them come out of the bushes and join the campfire.

Stosh

Engineer61

Your post reminds me of a story that my wife loves to tell.

While living in London we had a small dog.

Taking the dog for a walk everyday in the park not far from where we lived was the high point of the day for both dog and wife.

One day an elderly man asked my wife it it would be OK if his dog could take our dog for a walk.

His black and white sheep dog took the leash in his mouth and took our little pup for a walk.

Mean while the old fellow found out that HWMBO was an American.

He couldn't resist telling her that during WW II he didn't have a very high opinion of "Yanks" In his words they were:

Over paid

Over sexed

And over here.

It's a good job that HWMBO has a great sense of humor. If not the poor old fellow might have seen a few stars.

Ea.

I'd say to bring up any topic you want. You just have to realize that like any family, we have our crazy uncles and curmudgeons who have obsessions on certain topics and will beat them to death with negativity. :)