Backpacking Light BSA Course

$400 lighter (smile).

It looks like the course is a 4 day 3 night high adventure trip so I can understand the cost. My personal feeling about this though, is dont invest the money unless youre honest with yourself and you are willing to change and adapt. Having the knowledge will not help if you have the "over prepared" mentality. If youre serious about this I would suggest start weighing your pack before every trip and keep an inventory of what was taken. Make it a goal to incrementally get lighter.

If you didn't catch this thread this is an interesting read:

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=337103

Life long outdoors man......

I subscribe to Backpacking light, read the forums over there, Active on hammock hangers, on and on

I doubt it. But every time I go out I learn something.......and I don't need to pay a thousand dollars to do it.

I'd say $400 buys a downpayment on Philmont or 10 days of Autumn Adventure there. :) Maybe there is some amount of gear involved.

I don't think that backpacking light is really a mystery, so I'd be curious what they are teaching that's really innovative. Buy light gear, bring only what you need and focus on losing excess body weight.

If you do go, please share anything thought provoking that you learn.

That is the problem.....You don't need to go to MOAB or Philmont to learn.......

ya don't need a formal class.....Find a local SM or LNT Master Educator.....who has experience......Go on one of their Patrol backpacking trips as a guest or invite them to train your boy leaders......

Once my cub load is gone, It is my intention to offer my services and equipment to take other scouts into the backcountry.

No it will not be from a district or council thing,

No I will not charge a fee,

One volunteer to another

We were blessed with donations of backpacks, stoves and backpack tenting.....most of it second hand. but it is my intention to share the asset and make sure as many of locals share the experience as possible.

Just one volunteer SM to another troop.....(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)