Mandatory training is a separate issue from registration.

Even for Youth Protection training, National has backed off requiring a completion certificate to be attached to a new application in order for it to be processed.

I am not really "surprised" that a Troop's volunteer records are poorly maintained. There are lazy, inefficient, people all over.

However, it is a bit surprising when none of a unit's top leaders (COR/CC/SM) can be bothered to read/check their charter, not just one year, but multiple years in a row. How did they know how much to pay in registration fees? Did they just estimate? Did they simply pay whatever they were told by council? Were youth registrations similarly (mis)handled?

I am not surprised, but always saddened, when the boy's programs are affected by unit leaders who don't care enough to do the jobs they have volunteered to do, and by adults who can not play nice.

>>"my district has found quite a number of people who were dropped as registered district leaders because their Youth Protection training expired after two years. They weren't notified by e-mail to renew it, they were just DROPPED."

>

Are you sure? My presumption is that YPT records are maintained by National and that people are just dropped. I sort of find it hard to believe that my council has the gumption and organization to do that on their own.

>

Heh, heh! Best laugh of the day!

The National council typically does not communicate directly with leaders regarding membership. That function is delegated to your council. Due to the nature of ScoutNet, your membership & training records are local records. If you move to a new council, the record does not magically transfer, but has to be re-entered at the new council. So action to drop leaders who did not comply with YPT requirements was executed locally.

Info,

Not trying to contradict you, but need some clarification. When I went to PDL-1 just before the entire SCOUTNET fiasco came about, we were told that SCOUTNET would, stress WOULD, allow our records to follow us from one council to another. So if we did training in 123 council and moved to 456 council, SCOUTNET would show that we are trained.

So that is not the case after all?

That would explain why every time I moved, I'd have to tale YPT and show my certs and/or knots to prove I was trained. And I thought it was council not putting in the training records.

Thank you for your many answers. I apologize for the confusion. Many problems occured because somewhere, somehow, for some reason, a letter to someone-Troop, CO, District, adult who applied for leadership position, was not sent and/or received.

I guess this was what I really wanted to find out, that notification should have been sent. One small thing can change the world.

I should not have dumped all the problems in the disjointed way, but I did get a few answers and feedback there too.

So let's close this subject and hope something was learned.

I enjoy reading of others solutions to common problems. But I will close my Scouting career with fond memories.