Demonization of the pocket knife

Eng61,

My experience was like yours. Despite being a semi-rural area, pocketknives were never legally allowed when I was in school, and possession of one would result in a suspension from school. That said, most boys carried pocketknives, and as long as you didn't get in a fight or in trouble or brandish it, it wasn't a big deal. There were no metal detectors/random searches.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eamonn, 'zero tolerance' is not good. It is thoughtless and hurtful. It is stupid. It substitutes a faceless regulation for good judgement. Your son suffered an injustice and all the authorities involved knew it. They were just too panty-waisted to stand up and do what was right, which was to challenge the law and the system, to ridicule it if there was no other way, but at least make all involved know what they were...cowards.

100% agreed.

Eagle92, enjoyed your note about the WWI bayonet...brought back memories of one I used on a backpacking trip many years ago as a scout.

As a scout in the '70s, here is a partial list of tools used on official scout outings: sheath knives (all manner of civilian, scout and military varieties), machetes, axes, saws, and chain saw. Don't recall any horrific injuries, nor crimes. Proper training and supervision were the norm.

Went to HS in AK. Carried a pocket knife every day, with zero problems.

Concur with Fred8033 about lifestyles. More indoor people today, whose only exposure to blades is via movies, TV shows, and the news media, which results routinely false and negative impressions.

If I'm not somewhere where it's prohibited, or in the water - I'll give you a dollar if you catch me without a knife and a pen within reach. (First person only and only once a day, good luck catching me :) )

It is kind of odd to me that our State Law spells out that a knife less than 4 inches long, isn't to be considered a Weapon, but they'll sure go ape if you have one less than 3 inches long on your person that is clearly used as a tooland forget to leave it in the car when you visit those Gov't offices. At least they unlike TSA have the courtesy to return it as you leave. That's okay, They haven't prohibited pens yet, and those are more than 4 inches and they'll even provide them to you in the offices (Crazy, non-thinking it through - One Mind any Weapon)...

Zero Tolerance laws are for lazy, non-cognitive, afraid of responsibility, bureaucrats.

Well, yes, the times they are a changed.

I was the Stage Crew Manager in HS, Jr. & Sr year. If there was something about the electric or mechanical systems in the school stage or AV closet, I was often called out of class to help deal withit.

As a matter of course, I carried with me, or at least in my locker, a double ended flat/phillips screwdriver, a needle nose pliers, a larger Visegrip, a Diag cutter, a large lockback knife, and a roll of tartape. Not today. No student could get away with that today.

I have had my P38 can-opener on my key-chain confiscated at the Hillsborough County Government Center. When I asked (very politely --especially when talking to a man who has a Taser and a gun) if I could get it back and return later he refused. In fact he threatened me with arrest.

I mean I was gonna gnaw at the skin of a County Commissioner with the thing? My keys were longer and more sharp.

Here's the original article: http://www.startribune.com/local/west/149640525.html

The story behind all this is a local judge (supported by the Republican Sheriff) who refused to preside in a courtroom that didn't have screening in place, in response to a recent shooting at a courthouse in northern Minnesota. The County Board (Democrat-controlled) claimed that screening the suburban courtrooms wouldn't be cost effective (the downtown Minneapolis courtroom was screened). The Board relented, and in my opinion just put up this display to showcase how stupid the entire issue was/is.

We had a situation in our high school a few years ago, same situation as Eamonn's son, except I think the pocket knife was left in a day pack that the student also used for his books. As I recall, the district superintendent (who I believe had been a Scouter when his sons were growing up) waived the penalties, though technically he was probably violating the district's policies, which were of the "zero tolerance" variety.

It's a sad state of affairs.

It seems that the question of how a pocket knife was dealt with in the high schools of the mid-70's depends on where you lived. I am of that vintage myself and I do not think there would have been any problem with it, nor was there any specific policy against weapons in school that I can recall. I don't think the idea of someone bringing a weapon to school with the idea of using it to harm someone would have crossed anyone's mind, so things that are mainly tools (like pocket knives) would have been viewed as tools, not as weapons.

I remember back when Nixon was president bringing my deluxe set of X-Acto knives and blades to 4th grade for making a diorama. (I think it was the Afrika Korps-8th Army scene...boy that dates me) I could have armed a gang with all those knives! I remember the teacher holding it for me after class and giving it back at the end of the day. I think it was because the other boys started getting excited and waving them around. But I got them back and no hard no foul.

Why is it when I look at this thread that I can't help thinking about the thread that active not so long back on setting the example?

Isn't "Zero Tolerance" Very much like some of us insisting that because something is written down someplace that we have to stick to it. With no exemptions?

I'm thinking about the requirements for Den Leader Cub Scouting awards?

We now return you to the talk about knives.

Ea.

• 1 month later...

I've carried a pocket knife every day since I got one in Cub Scouts. That's all the way through school and college and ever since. Only exception is when I fly or go to the courthouse.

My saying is "If I have my pants on, I have my pocket knife. If not, I have my sgain dubh."

(And the silliest is the prohibition on pocket knifes when I board a cruise ship. But it's OK to have one in your luggage, which you access minutes after going through the detectors!)(This message has been edited by Woapalanne)

I hadn't realised that the USA had gone just as paranoid about knives as we have in the UK.

Knife law here is absurdly restrictive.

But here's the deal. If I really wanted to stab someone I could walk into the nearest pub or off license, buy a glass bottle of beer, carry it round perfectly legally before smashing it and using it as a really nasty weapon.

Most knife law is passed on an absurd knee basis.

In a critically dangerous situation, I have two important options to defend myself. Reach in my pocket, pull open my BSA whittler pocket knife and proceed to defend myself. Or I can take the pen/pencil out of my pocket and be just as effective.

And BTW, in a fair, equality for all people, tolerant of others society, aren't "zero-tolerance" policies an oxy-moron? Zero-tolerance policies teach our children intolerance is acceptable and often times preferred. No more need for the court system, the policy takes care of the bad people in the world. However, do the policies really stop people? or do they just show the stupidity of those making the rules when situations arise? I'm thinking it's not good timing on the part of the teacher trying to break up a knife fight in the school hallway by reminding the two fighters that there's a zero-tolerance policy on knives.

Stosh

The teacher should pick up a chair...oops GSS will say "no chairs".

I have to go in and out of government buildings all the time and have had a lot of pocket knives, even a P38 opener, confiscated in the post 9-11 world. I LOVE my Leatherman Micra but I am sure that the 1-1/2" blade is considered a deadly weapon.

In the "Shoot Me", er "Sunshine" State" I hesitate to wield one in public for fear of someone feeling they need to stand their ground and shoot me.