A modest request for our moderators

Dear moderators:

Thank you for your cheerful service to these forums. We members very much appreciate your quiet work and guiding influences. I would like to make a small request. When editing a post, can you please note your edit in the text in some manner? This protocol would aid later readers understand the context of following posts.

A deletion can be indicated in the following manner:

The quick brown fox jumped over the [deleted by a staff member] dog.

A change can be indicated thusly:

The quick brown fox jumped over the [edited by a staff member] /lethargic/ dog./lethargic staff member.

Similarly, an insert can be indicated thusly:

The quick brown fox jumped over the [inserted by a staff member] /occasionally/ lazy dog.

Thanks!

Hi

Just checking we were able to do it!!

It seems we do have the technology - Beam me up OGE!!

Eamonn.

(This message has been edited by a staff member.)

Great idea Trev. Many times you can read a seemingly innocent post only to end up finding (edited) at the bottom. At least some idea of what kind of info has been removed would be nice too.

I have another idea. Perhaps the Issues and Politics forum should be password protected like the OA forum. Only the kids who demonstrate an ability to play nice with others would be allowed. ;)

I had half jokingly suggested a week or two ago that people should be restricted to one post in I&P for every 5 or 10 posts in other forums, but there is really no way to monitor that.

"I had half jokingly suggested a week or two ago that people should be restricted to one post in I&P for every 5 or 10 posts in other forums, but there is really no way to monitor that."

Heck Beav, let me talk to my contact at NSA, they may have software for that...

As a moderator I have done some edits on posts. My edits are usually "light handed." That is, I will sometimes correct grammar, spelling, etc. especially if it adds clarity to the post. I do not wish to point out those changes. For example, the misuse of "then" and "than" seems to be rampant in speech these days and is slowly creeping into what we write. I see no purpose stating a change in a post for that.

I don't quite follow why the protocol suggested by Trevorum would aid readers in understanding the context. Is it just prurient interest? Someone please explain. (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

Acco, I don't tink anyone of us expecs yu to edit our possts for speling r grammer. But heck, go fr it! ;)

What I was primarily referring to are the occasional edits of offensive or patently inaccurate material. I trust these are fairly rare. However, if subsequent posts respond to the unedited statement which then later disappears, the thread becomes disjointed. I imagine there are other situations where a poster would not want his words changed without the edit clearly being marked as such. It is NOT a big deal to be sure, but courtesy to the poster and later readers might suggest such a protocol. In any event, please know that we DO appreciate your "light" touch.

Eamonn, you crack me up!

(this message has not yet been edited by a staff member. But watch this space... ;))

(ain't I a stinker? OGE) (This message has been edited by a staff member.)