info

Sorry but you are mistaken there is no mandatory retirement age for the CSE. In the past the BSA has had CSE's past the age of 65 serving. Bob is stepping down because he hit 40 years in professional scouting which is more than enough timefor anyone. Besides he reached the highest position in professional scouting, he has nothing else to prove or accomplish in his career.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"those who focus on the needs of the mission, and those who focus on the needs of the organization. Initially the mission folks run the show, but over time, the organization folks take over, and the mission suffers."

WOW, what a great statement. I had never thought about the impact that could have, but it makes sense.

So what about bringing in somebody who understands the Scouting mission but also understands the needs of the organization. Somebody who has been successful in business and understands the value of Scouting. I do understand the hierarchy of BSA professionals, that it's always about getting your numbers up and moving to the next level, rinse and repeat.

Me personally, If I could nominate somebody, I'd nominate Jack Furst.

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2010/may/27/argyle-philanthropist-boy-scouts/?refscroll=576

I think Jack is a great guy who understands how important Scouting is for the boys,but is also an established businessman who understands how to deal with corporate schmoozing. He's also young enough and fit enough to portray the image we want to see for Scouting, instead of the old, has been, corporate, vanilla type, we've come to expect from HQ.

But hey, what do I know. I'm just a guy in the field trying to put on the best program for my boys that I can.

infoscouter

I stand corrected. I read your reference and it showed Bob does not really want to go but has no choice. It makes me wonder how long this mandatory age thing has been in effect, even though I see the rationale behind it. Well he had over 40 years and ended at the top what more could anyone ask for in their career.