(19851993) Ben H. Love

(19791984) J. L. Tarr

(19761979) Harvey L. Price

(19671976) Alden G Barber

(19601967) Joseph A. Brunton Jr

(194801960-07-01 July 1, 1960) Arthur Schuck[1]

(19431948) Elbert K. Fretwell, became Chief Scout on retirement

(19111943) James E. West, became Chief Scout on retirement

NOTE: from 1910-1911 John Alexander and then Edgar M. Robinson was the head of the BSA in the role of managing secretary.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was an email that was sent on April 4th to Executive Board members, Advisory Council members, Scout Executives, CSE Cabinet, Regional Directors, Group Directors and National Council Employees.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Chief Scout Executive Selection Committee appointed at our February 2012 board meeting met, developed a profile of skills and characteristics we are seeking in our next Chief, and reviewed biographies of candidates.

Please be advised that the following executives have been selected as semifinalists for the position of Chief Scout Executive. They are (in alphabetical order):

John Andrews, Scout Executive, Northern Star Council

Wayne Brock , Deputy Chief Scout Executive/COO

Gary Butler, Assistant Chief Scout Executive, Council Operations

Ethan Draddy, Scout Executive, Baltimore Area Council

Brad Farmer, Assistant Chief Scout Executive, Development

Tom Fitzgibbon, Regional Director, Western Region

Al Lambert, Regional Director, Central Region

Ron Oats, Scout Executive, Central Florida Council

Robert A. Alf Tuggle, Assistant Chief Scout Executive/CFO

Semifinalists will record video responses to a set of questions developed by the Selection Committee. From those remarks, finalists will be selected when the committee meets again on May 8th. A memo announcing the names of the finalists will be distributed following that meeting.

In-person interviews with the finalists are set for Monday May 21, 2012. Announcement of the new Chief Scout Executive will be communicated that day. Chief Scout Executive Bob Mazzuca concludes an exceptional career with his retirement on August 31st. The new Chief takes office September 1, 2012.

OK, this may seem cruel and unscoutlike, but

WOnder if he could not make the weight limit for the Jamboree and this is his way out?

The issue of Scouting where they had the push for getting leaders in shape with the picture of him and the other two fatties will resonate with me for a very long time. Now Tico Perez has done quite a job in losing his poundage, Big Bob? Not so much

I would have really hoped that they would have expanded their search to include people from outside the BSA. I still think that a former secretary of defense, or someone else with a high profile, could make a big difference. Let's put Mike Rowe in the job for two years.

"I would have really hoped that they would have expanded their search to include people from outside the BSA. I still think that a former secretary of defense, or someone else with a high profile, could make a big difference. Let's put Mike Rowe in the job for two years."

Sorry, but the Chief Scout Executive is the top employee of the BSA. Basically what we call in most organizations an Executive Director. I'd rather it be someone who knows how to run a non-profit in that position. And also who should do what a NED does, which means NOT bossing the members around. That should be the job of the National President and National Commissioner.

Mike Rowe is someone I wish we'd make our Chief Scout. Other associations have this position. We used to at the beginning. Bear Grylls is the Chief Scout for the UK.

OGE

The CSE does not have to worry about jamboree weight restrictions. He shows up talks for half an hour, shakes a few hands, is taken on a golf cart for a tour of the grounds, gets into his chauffer driven towncar taken back to the hotel where he sits by the pool with his favorite cocktail, goes to a fancy restaraunt for dinner, and flies home the next morning. No need to be physically fit for that routine. Such is the life of the CSE.

We will miss you Bob!

Sorry, but the Chief Scout Executive is the top employee of the BSA. Basically what we call in most organizations an Executive Director. I'd rather it be someone who knows how to run a non-profit in that position.

Personally, I'm not all that sure someone who knows how to run a non-profit is a good idea, at least if the way you evaluate that is by experience at non-profits. Sort of like hiring someone who knows how to run a bank to be your CFO. I think the world of non-profits may be changing, and someone too heavily invested in the status quo might turn out to be a terrible choice.

There is a tendency in the professional non-profit world to focus on fundraising to support the fixed budget needed for pros - offices, salaries, medical coverage, etc., which tends to create inverted assumptions where the pros view the volunteers as customers instead of colleagues. Getting the "customers" to pony up cash takes on bigger and bigger importance as the fixed costs grow.

Now, none of this says we should abandon having paid positions, they're necessary. But Pournelle's Iron Law of Bureacracy applies to non-profits as well as government agencies and big corporations too. That law says there are two types of people in any organization - those who focus on the needs of the mission, and those who focus on the needs of the organization. Initially the mission folks run the show, but over time, the organization folks take over, and the mission suffers. Nothing about anyone being bad guys, just the natural tendencies of human behavior. The only way to avoid that is bringing in outside leadership that occasionally busts up the organization folks and sets back the bureausclerosis.

Bringing in an outsider might be the best possible thing, though it seems like that's not an option being considered.

JM

You are so right, the last thing that the powers that be at National would want is for an outsider to be brought in who might demand some real accountability from those high ranking National professional scouters and who might mess up the status quo. From the list most of them are insiders who are part of the problem and will continue down the same path as their predecessors. They throw in a couple of SE's into the mix to give the appearance that the selection has not already been fixed. It really is to bad that the COR's and adult volunteers don't get to vote.