NY Troop Trailer Registration through Maine

Without more facts about your situation, I wouldn't express an opinion on legallity of registering it in Maine and being organized in NY.

However if you really want to know the cost, here is how you figure it out.

The annual fee of five dollars and thirty-nine cents for each five hundred pounds or fraction thereof of maximum gross weight but in no case shall the annual fee be less than fourteen dollars and thirty-eight cents.

Like everything in NY, its a bit convaluted.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nld Scouter,

Tell me in my math is right?

weight of the trailer (I THINK)7,500 or 3,500

divide by 500 lbs /500

equals: 15 for 7,500 or 7 for 3,500

multiplied by $5.39

Total cost is: $80.85 or $37.73 for a year.

How does one go about finding out the insurance angle as I haven't even considered that. My understanding is the Charter organization should be taking care of that and we should get an up to date inventory list to them asap. (by the end of this school year, June.)

Inspections is yearly, just like a car... correct?

hmmmmm

how many boys do you have in your troop again???? it was 5 or 7 right????

so why in the world do you need a troop trailer?????? you should be able to easily transport a weeks worth of camp gear and food in the bed of a pick up truck or van.......

Or am I missing something?????

Deaf you are program side, let the committee run the business end of the troop......

Eagle......so you live in Maryland and haul your trailer on the streets paid for by Maryland vehicle registrations??????? So your overloaded 10,000 trailer is tearing up roads that it should be paying for, or am I missing something????

Your greed does not make it right........

Basement,

Isn't the purpose of a troop trailer to haul gear, keep it all in one place and make it easier to move things while making the load lighter for the Scouters?

The size of this trailer is defeating this purpose. We just finished Citizenship in the Community so your point to Eagle can be pointed at my own troop who really don't know the ideals, methods and aims of scouting... *sighs

Unless the trailer is owned by someone who's lending it to the troop, then it's really owned by the CO. It's the COR and IH who should be making this decision, not you and the committee. You can do the research and suggest an option, certainly, but this involves assets and ownership issues. That belongs to a higher authority, in my book.

This may be off on a tangent, but you wrote about "not doing campouts as we should." What do you mean by that? In my ideal Scouting world (the one where it never rains on campouts and is always a balmy 60 degrees), campouts are almost never done with trailers and heavy gear, but with backpacks and lightweight tents.

If your troop's goal is to move to backpacking (which supports the patrol method far better than "plop" camping), then drop the trailer entirely. Get your boys used to lightweight equipment and gear from the get-go, and they'll never know the difference.

Using a trailer to store your troop gear is not very smart.....I know lots of troops do it.

We hear at least a couple of times a year of troop trailers getting stolen.....the gear often turns up in Indiana or Kentucky at flea markets......

Google Stolen troop trailer if you doubt what I say.

My point is your wasting your troops money, registering an unneeded trailer. I don't know of any troop that has too much money....5 boys and you need a troop trailer?????....just don't get it. We have 16 and don't have one.....We camp in a 16 passenger van and a pickup truck.

The Eagle comment was to the fellow who lives in maryland and then unethically registers his trailer in Maine to save his tax money......Roads aren't free. but instead of paying his fair usage for the roads he registers his trailer in maine....

The Eagle Scout Charge

The Boy Scouts of the world constitute one of the most wholesome and significant movements in history, and you [ Scout's name ], have been counted worthy of this highest rank in its membership, all who know you rejoice in your achievement.

Your position, as you well know, is one of honor and responsibility. You are a marked man. As an Eagle Scout, you have assumed a solemn obligation to do your duty to God, to Country, to your fellow Scouts, and to mankind in general. This is a great undertaking. As you live up to your obligations, you bring honor to yourself and to your brother Scouts. If you fail, you bring down the good name of all true and worthy Scouts.

Your responsibility goes beyond your fellow Scouts -- to your Country and your God. America has many good things to give you and your children after you; but these good things depend on the qualities she instills in her citizens. You are prepared to help America in all that she needs most. She has a great past, and you are here to make her future greater.

I charge you to undertake your citizenship with a solemn dedication. Be a leader, but lead only toward the best. Lift up every task you do and every office you hold to the high level of service to God and your fellow men -- to finest living. We have too many who use their strength and their intellect to exploit others for selfish gains. I charge you to be among those who dedicate their skills and ability to the common good.

Build America on the solid foundations of clean living, honest work, unselfish citizenship and reverence for God. Whatever others may do, you will leave behind you a record of which every Scout may be proud

So is he meeting the charge????????

Basement - That is a big stretch and amazingly judgmental to question if someone is worthy of their Eagle because you do not understand that someone is making a perfectly legal and ethical decision to register a trailer in another state.

"Eagle......so you live in Maryland and haul your trailer on the streets paid for by Maryland vehicle registrations??????? So your overloaded 10,000 trailer is tearing up roads that it should be paying for, or am I missing something????"

Yep, you are missing something.

My trailer is nether overloaded or tearing up the roads, but thank you for insinuating that I'm a greedy scofflaw. I follows all the rules and regulations of the State of Maryland. I drive more on the streets of other states including Maine than Maryland. It is totally legal and no more unethical than claiming every available tax break. When the State of Maryland passes a law against it, which they easily could do if they choose to, then I'll register in MD.

I made the point that registering a trailer in Maine is legal and possible (at least in my state). which is a fact and what the OP was inquiring about.

I was neither discourteous nor disrespectful to you and I would ask that you treat me with the same courtesy and keep you misguided judgements to yourself.

I also notice that you make judgmental remarks to the OP.

"How many boys do you have????, 5 or 7????. you should be able to easily transport a weeks worth of camp gear and food in the bed of a pick up truck or van.......

Or am I missing something?????"

Maybe the guy wants to store the equipment in a trailer. Maybe it 's just the way he wants to run his troop. I think you are missing something, it's called courtesy, respect and tolerance of others.

(This message has been edited by Eagle732)

First: I don't get why this thread was moved to Issues & Politics.

Second: It is absurd to live in Rochester NY and have a trailer registered 600+ miles away in Maine. Even if it is legal (and I'm skeptical), this is silly.

Third: It sounds like there are a number of items that need to be worked on, in this troop.

So my advice is: Focus on the things that are actual problems. Don't waste your energy finding novel ways to pinch pennies, especially if those novel ways are controversial (Do you really need to deal with dissent about where your trailer is registered? Is that an efficient use of your inter-personal resources? What will your CO say about this twist?). With a troop as small as yours, you may want to focus on things that impact recruitment and retention of new scouts, instead.

Lisabob,

I use Staab Agency out of Jefferson, Maine.

Here's their website: http://staabagency.com/

Legal? It is in my state, your state may vary.

In Maryland you see lots of trailers tagged from Maine. There's a reason for that.

Out troop's 4 trailers are all registered in the state of PA where small trailers are relatively inexpensive to tag. By the way our trailers are all registered as being owned by "Troop 123, Hometown, PA", not in the CO's name. The troop pays all insurance on the trailers too.

Lisabob,

You hit several good points and I can even see how it creates chaos here.. *smiles

The trailer was bought long before I came into the troop and was a major complaint. When I came in, equipment was all over the place with no inventory list. Some of the equipment is outdated (Troop's been around since 1938) while some are safety issues. I've got newbie people who don't know what to pack. I'm tired of dealing with complaints.. this was more work or we needed this and that or we have a trailer but it just storage. Our Troop kitchens are even set up yet we have 4 Patrol boxes. Trying to get basic stuff done is like pulling teeth. If the trailer was pullable, we'd use the stuff and people would see what is used. We can teach/direct the boys to get this and that.

The size alone prevents us from using it because no one can haul it. We had our Spaghetti Dinner and bucket was put out for Trailer lettering and they want a big fancy job with the $500.00 they got. There wasn't even talk at the committee meeting first about this lettering bucket. People just come up with an idea and go ahead with no planning or forethought. I'm now seeing the advantage we had in not lettering on our Troop trailer. We do have a LOT to work on within this Troop. Worse is I'm trying to do both the Committee Chair and Scoutmaster.

The whole thing is a runaway train and I just wanted to find out the simple cost of how much it is to register the trailer for our preliminary budget along with the calendar as this troop has no concept of money: expenses and income. Personally I'd sell the trailer and just keep labeled bins. We do have some really cool cooking stuff that will never get used unless the trailer goes though.

I agree with Basement on the 'Eagle Charge'. I'm finding lately I'm really in personal conflict with some of these adults in their approach and our planning. They really don't know the methods, aims and ideals of Scouting which is why something so outlandish as registering a trailer out of state comes up. Yeah they want to be thrifty but where is the citizenship development?

Just because it is legal does it make it right???? Just because everyone else does it doesn't make it right.

I haul my landscaping trailer in Ohio, I haul my enclosed scouting trailer in Ohio. Both are registered and licensed in Ohio. Both pay road taxes in Ohio. I buy my fuel in Ohio, I use road fuel and not agriculture fuel in my truck and landscaping mowers.

Thrifty has NO bearing in this discussion.

License plates are part of the cost of owning a vehicle and trailer. Part of the tax is used to maintain the local roadways, so in my opinion you are cheating the local state out of revenue they could use to maintain their/your roadways.

While I don't think your a scofflaw, I don't believe your setting a good example.

Build America on the solid foundations of clean living, honest work, unselfish citizenship and reverence for God. Whatever others may do, you will leave behind you a record of which every Scout may be proud

(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

DS,

Worse is I'm trying to do both the Committee Chair and Scoutmaster.

Yep. That about sums it up. You need to split your personalities ...

The SM-self needs to sit with the boys and work with them on formulating a list of equipment that they will need for the upcoming year. There are checklists in the handbook, etc ... You may want to use index cards or post-its so that they can prioritize and split things into personal/troop gear. Determine what on that list needs to be travel-ready and what might just need to be used for local events like your fundraiser. Make plans with the boys to have a Quatermaster's day that will end with a decent campfire and meal someplace near your meeting place.

If they conclude they need less than a 3-ton trailer to move stuff around for this year. Report that to your CC-self.

CC-self then talks to equipment chair thanking him for his hard work, and ask him to think about what will save more money: a 5year out-of-state registration for a trailer you might not haul until your troop triples in size, or a primer paint job with numbers stenciled by the boys while they work on painting merit badge. Ask him to pull the other parents together and discuss how important it is to for the troop to advertize themselves with a big trailer and how soon this trailer really needs to be roadworthy.

You can be honest about how you're a little concerned about the ethics of the whole thing, and about making the boys more responsible stewards of their gear. But, the bigger picture is coaching the guy into bouncing these ideas off of the rest of the committee and CO so that everybody feels like they have an honest stake in the troop.

Lets face it, you're going to half to find someone to replace CC-self soon, and this guy might be it!

P.S. - EA's story about the unchained wood-chipper happened in my district. It got thrown off its hitch onto a minivan that was following just behind and downhill from it. The wife lost her entire family, and the driver lost his career and I think is serving time for negligence (as well as a lifetime of remorse).