If I am attending an out of council scouting event as a scouter - just to look around and see what it's about; Powderhorn or a rendezvous for example, do I need to fill out a tour plan for just myself?

I am traveling by myself, not doing any special activity (climbing, shooting, swimming). There is no assistant adult leader. If you read the form, it states "Boy Scouts of America policy requires at least two adult leaders on all BSA activities." I always presumed this was because youth were on the form, but this is not the case for this event.

What does the general community say about this? Can I go? Will the new online tour plan system coming online in 10 days let you do it?

Wow that is weak.....

I am off out of council solo or with the SM, I jump in the truck and off we go....We do the activity and return.

Called personal responsibility...

True stuff happens, but when the time comes I worry about personal injury and insurance problems and scouting is the time I quit.

Insurance liability is not a factor in TPs. TP's are for accountability, and you probably have higher powers who you need to reckon with (the Mrs. or your Mama for example).

Spend the time you'd otherwise waste on paperwork checking your oil and brakes.

Wow !! Never thought about ever using BSA Insurance, if me or family was running around on scout buisness.. I guess it is there to use if needed, but I just always thought of it as a protection so others did not sue me personally.

But, as everyone states, the tour plan is not for Insurance.. One reason why they changed the wording from "Tour Permit" to "Tour Plan".. To end the myth or scare tactics used on people to get them to file them.. Tour Plan is just to make sure you have planned out the trip with needed transportation, adult leadership, appropriate training for the event you are going on etc..

For insurance to kick in you just need proof that it was a BSA activity. While the tour Plan is one type of proof, there are others.. Traveling to an BSA hosted event is good or if you are wearing scout uniform would be fine for personal travel for BSA.. Other things that may work for personal, but more for group events. Is it discussed at a troop meeting or committee meeting?.. Did you discuss it with outer Scouters in and email?.. Other things more so group related are if it is on the units calendar of events, if you organized transportation & Leadership at a scout meeting.. Collected fees for the trip.. etc..

Yah, yeh know our paperwork culture has gotten a bit out of hand when someone starts askin' questions like this.

Nah, Missouri_COR, no tour plan expected or required. Save the tour plans for events which involve youth.

Beavah

Minimum number for tour plan is 2 youth and 2 adult, with one adult registered and has youth protection, weather, and any other required training for the activity.

Remember, you are covered by your own insurance. BSA insurance only kicks in after yours. Filing a tour plan does not change the insurance coverage.