Council camp is just about 2 hours away from my house. I drive a 1995 Ford f-150 It does not get 50 mph. Not even close. Not even half that!

So that means I will cut back on "frivilous" things like Pow-wows, and supplimental trainings . I like to take them each year just to learn new things since last time, but.....

I will also cut back on going to Cub Scout camp oppertunities held by the council when my leadership isn't absolutely nevcessary.

For instance: I do not have to be there when the council holds Parent/son weekend, but I like to go to all the sessions my cub scouts go to. Same for resident camps. Since my son is no longer a cub scout, I really don't have a compelling reason to go.

(This message has been edited by scoutfish)

My bias would be to reimburse drivers for their gasoline costs on outings at a minimum.

Troops can set a transportation fee for Scouts for each trip, paid to the troop, and reimburse drivers for their actual gasoline expenses. It may be that troops might choose to subsidize those costs if they can afford to do so.

Frankly, drivers ought to be reimbursed for more that their gasoline costs.

Expecting drivers to contribute their time, costs of fuel and costs of operating their vehicle is unfair and a formula for discovering that few people want to drive to outings.

"A Scout is Thrifty." That means he pays his own way. I don't think that includes gouging people who drive.

Trustworthy, Loyal,etc....

Isn't the IRS standard $.55 a mile expense? Then one makes a calculation on the distance involved, a permile charge, reimburse the driver accordingly (somany Scout passengers, so many miles, multiply and divide...), and some are actually making a profit (Prius) and some are about breaking even (Honda Oddysey) and some are "charitable" (Dodge Ram).

C'est la vie.

Maybe compared to late 2008/early 2009, the prices are bad. But compared to last year, it's not terrible. People just overreact a little because at the end of the day, it's about $5-$10 more per fill-up than a few years ago. Yes, it adds up, but these prices shouldn't be high enough to cancel entire trips. We actually haven't changed our camping schedule that much, but the Pack has.

Recently I became re-involved at the Troop level. My grandson came to live with the wife and I so I helped him join Boy Scouts. The Troop does not do fund raisers except for Popcorn and my grandson was too late for that.

At a cost of $30 - $50 per outing per person, I have cut back to just him going. I am a SA in the Troop but the Troop drops the charges on the parents/Scouts sometimes AFTER the event.

Some of us can NOT afford the extra expense.

My $0.02

Rick

In our neck of the woods, high gas prices mean high oil prices mean more jobs mean better economy, etc. (At least that is what I say to myself whenever the pump stops because it hits the majic $100 mark.

But, in our troop

any driver can turn in gas receipts to the troop for reimbursement. The troop then allocates that amongst all of the scouts attending. However, while I do not know for sure, most of our parents do not turn in the receipts. I have thought about it when the trailer puts my mileage down to about 8mpg, but, like the poster abover, just another donation to the troop.

Seattle Pioneer,

I do NOT have a problem with reimbursing personnel for driving when carrying extra scouts or gear. My big problem is more in line with the Troop giving the information last minute or after the event. I can't budget that.

Guess the "fair" part would be for me to skip ALL outings but that would not be fair to me or my grandson. I was willing to drive on this outing and take two extra passengers without charge but I would still have to pay the gas of the other vehicles.

I would like the Troop to schedule some fund raisers (maybe pancake breakfast or spagetti dinners) to help offset the cost of gas for trips.

As I stated before, in the last month, it has been over $80 just for gas for two trips (just the grandson going). That was not budgeted in my budget.

Guess we will have to see.

My $0.02 for what it is worth.

Rick