Here is a great article by National Geographics Boyd Matson.

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/traveler-magazine/unbound/boy-scouts/

"On this, my third climb up Kilimanjaro, I already know what to expect: six nights sleeping on the ground, no bath for a week, cold wind, thin air, and maybe mild altitude sickness. I keep asking myself, Why am I doing this, again? Finally I come up with an answer. I blame the Boy Scouts of America. That organization stole my soul when I was a kid and planted it in the wilderness. I was too young to resist their clever sales pitch built around hiking and camping trips. And their system of rewarding accomplishments with higher ranks and colorful merit badges meant, in effect, there was always one more goal to reach, one more mountain to climb"........

>>That organization stole my soul when I was a kid and planted it in the wilderness. I was too young to resist their clever sales pitch built around hiking and camping trips. And their system of rewarding accomplishments with higher ranks and colorful merit badges meant, in effect, there was always one more goal to reach, one more mountain to climb"........

Welcome to the Crew, Brew,

You may find that amoung the group there are several who are extremists, all things BSA are Bad, all things Leadership oriented are bad, all things Wood Badge are bad and a few others I am sure

There are several voices of moderation, I leave it to you to decide who you feel most follows your own values and who to believe

I wasn't being critical of any posts, I had simply assumed that the average age of Eagles was getting younger based on comments, so it was very surprising to me to see the nearly 3-year increase. Which goes to show what happens when one assumes!

Brewmeister,

I was NOT surprised at the average of Eagles. My son's Troop motto was Eaglemakers and it was that challenge of getting them done before 18 like my son did. Most made it the year before having learned that Senior year and Eagle projects are not a nice combination. It came from watching another before saying WHEW on making the deadline and comparing it to one that didn't have that deadline. Sometimes lessons are learnt from watching and listening than reading and talking...*smiles