AHG: A Thread for Discussing the Program

Sorry, had one more question which I forgot. How is the spiritual aspect of the program handled in AHG? Are there ecumenical prayers and services? Are most troops chartered by churches and, if so, do they tend to recruit their members from among them?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean like the LDS or the Order of the Arrow? Or maybe APO or any other fraternity?

You"re the public. Instead of trying to find another way to needle an organization you know nothing about, why don't you just come out and ask them. Don't ask us, and don't make assumptions. They're not hard to find.

BDPT00

You"re the public. Instead of trying to find another way to needle an organization you know nothing about, why don't you just come out and ask them. Don't ask us, and don't make assumptions. They're not hard to find.

Well, that didn't take long this time. Only three pages for an AHG supporter to say "Stop asking us those annoying questions that point out the gaping holes in our beloved organization!!!"

AHGnBSAMom started this thread to discuss the AHG program. Well, sonofagun! - it turns out that even such basic things as the requirements for badges are secret, available only to registered AHG members. Not even the OA goes that far.

So, I'll put it out there again: How can we discuss the program when the program materials are not publicly available?

# # #

These are the questions I recently submitted to the AHG national office. I'm not holding my breath about a response. I'd welcome any answers from folks in the know here.

1. Why is the Girls Handbook only available to registered members?

2. Why is the Leaders' section of your site only accessible to registered leaders?

3. Where can I find a list of the badge and level award requirements without having to purchase your program materials, to help me evaluate the program content and quality?

4. What training do you provide for adult leaders, particularly on outdoors, safety and youth-protection topics?

5. What resources does AHG provide to girls to help them learn about the badge topics?

6. What summer camp programs does AHG operate independently of other youth organizations?

7. Does AHG permit legal residents of the United States to become volunteers? Your website until recently included statements to the effect that only citizens were allowed to volunteer, and some volunteer forms remain available on the web that state that as well. I'm thus confused about AHG's policy on this topic, and why a ban on non-citizens volunteering was ever in effect in the first place.

8. Would my daughter, who is Jewish, be allowed to join an AHG troop without being proselytized to by the leader or other volunteers? Your website says that all girls are allowed to join, but also that adults must adhere to a Christian statement of faith, which creates a bit of a contradiction. What are local leaders instructed to do when non-Christian members want to join their troop? Are there ever explicitly Christian prayers offered at troop meetings or AHG events? Does AHG partner with non-Christian faiths to allow girls of other faiths to earn their religious awards, or are only Christian religious awards recognized?

9. Which is AHG first and foremost - a girls' scouting organization, or a Christian ministry?

"Any youth organization that restricts their publications can only have something to hide. If your group is truly legitimate they should always be open to the public."

"Or maybe APO or any other fraternity? "

The only material APO keeps secret/private are our rituals. EVERYTHING else is available on our website: current National Bylaws (can the BSA say this?), our pledge manual, all other rules/policies, and recent issues of our National magazine, etc. Once a year in our National magazine, we provide the financials of the organization (again, can the BSA say this?)

I can't speak of what other greek letter orgs do.

OA? LDS? There are things our OA kids do that we'd rather keep private. I have no clue what LDS kids do, and I bet there's no way for me to find out.

And therein lies my weak attempt at trying to make a point. I don't like trying to beat up on groups with ceremonies. They serve a purpose.

Some here clearly think that AHG is keeping secrets. I'm glad they're finally being asked directly, and I suspect they have no secrets whatsoever.

Let's wait to hear from them.

BDPT00

Speaking of something to hide. I have a challenge for the folks in this thread. Go to the BSA's national website and produce an organizational chart OR a phone number and email address for any professional OR a street address and main phone number for national. I can't find them. Never have. It's almost like they're exclusive and don't want to talk to you......or they're hiding something.

SP- you better look up the definition of paranoid, which I think suits you and your comments much better. Any legitmate group should have nothing to hide, especially youth groups.

BDPT- The OA has no or is not allowed to have ANY secrets any longer per BSA policies which have been around since the eighties or longer. As far as LDS scouting is concerned, most of their program is the same, based on my experiences as a DE with 25% LDS units and being invited to their scouting ceremonies over the years. There are however special religious ceremonies included in their scouting program involving attainment of the various stages of "priesthood" which are usually open only to church members.

I think there is a difference between a ceremony's being secret, and an entire program's being secret. If AHG wants to have a secret induction ceremony, or something like that, then more power to them (as long as it is in the presence of parents).

Short,

That is for the BSA Foundation. My council has a "contact us" link right on the front page that has the council office address, phone number and maps of how to get there. Then there is a staff directory with the name, email address and phone number of every employee from the SE to the janitor. What does national have to hide?