AHG: A Thread for Discussing the Program

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 years this year, always thought the movie with Gregory Peck was one of the best movie adaptations of a book ever. Everytime I read it, I want to start over and stay in the neighborhood that Scout describes

and to think Dill Harris was a young Truman Capote, well actually, once you see the movie, its easy to imagine

Just a clarification: Dill Harris may have been written with Harper Lee's friend (Truman Capote) in mind. But the part in the movie was played by John Megna.

The local theater just did this play a few weeks ago. Nice job of it too.

Well of course Dill Harris, the charactor in the book, To Kill a Mockingbird, was based on Truman Capote. I did not purport to imply the actor in the movie was Truman.

Although the coat my good friend Pierre DuMonde (the Voyageur) made out of a Wool Blanket wears is named Truman Capote for obvious reasons

Knowing the details of a program - the requirements, the training, the activities - are all crucial to assessing and discussing it. Apparently, AHG regards those details as a closely-held secret, explaining why this thread took a literary turn.

=============

Pack212Scouter,

I asked: "Why is the Leader Portal online restricted to registered adults only?"

You answered: While AHG sets itself aside as morally different than Girl Scouts, they are sensative to not wanting to directly have any battles. AHG recognizes the GSUSA's right to run their program as they see fit, and while they don't agree with it, they want to avoid as much as possible the immage of attacking GSUSA. Additionally, a large protion of AHG funding (as a fledgling organization) relies on funds from materials. This is the easiest way to prevent copying as well.

You realize this makes absolutely no sense at all, right?

What does the GSUSA have to do with AHG restricting access to its leader's materials? Are you saying that the Leader Portal contains a ton of information attacking GSUSA? And wouldn't AHG make *more* money by selling its handbooks and materials to everyone, instead of restricting them just to its members?

I also asked: "Why are only registered members permitted to purchase the Girl Handbook?"

You replied: Can't really answer this. I think to try to protect their intellectual property. As a comparatively small organization, much of the AHG policy revolves around avaoiding lawsuits as they do not have the millions of dollars that BSA has to combat them.

Again, you realize this makes no sense, right? Selling a book to the public in no way diminishes your intellectual property rights. Nor does it expose you to a lawsuit, unless you stole the content from someone else.

=============

AHGnBSAMom,

When someone attempts to purchase the Girl Handbook, they are told: "This girl handbook can be purchased for registered members only." (http://store.ahgonline.org/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=629)

Why can't I, as the parent of a girl eligible (you say) to be an AHG member, purchase and take a look at the handbook *before* she joins? Why won't AHG allow me to see the basic program materials and requirements prior to signing up?

=============

SR540,

No one is clinging to an obsolete form to show that AHG discriminates against legal immigrants. I'm simply pointing to two forms currently available on the AHG website that clearly, plainly and unequivocally require unit leaders/assistants and unit treasurers to be U.S. citizens: http://www.ahgonline.org/uploads/UnitLdrMinAgreemnt2_10.pdf and www.ahgonline.org/uploads/TroopTreasMinAgreemnt2_10.pdf

If those forms are outdated as you claim, why hasn't AHG simply removed them from its site?

Shortridge. the first part was an attempt by me to figure it out based on past experience. As for "Again, you realize this makes no sense, right? Selling a book to the public in no way diminishes your intellectual property rights. Nor does it expose you to a lawsuit, unless you stole the content from someone else."

That is correct...it does not diminish your intellectual property rights. It does however make it easier for someone to copy...however on rethinking, that is probably not the reason...I can't really asnwer it fully at this time.

As for your comment "No one is clinging to an obsolete form to show that AHG discriminates against legal immigrants. I'm simply pointing to two forms currently available on the AHG website that clearly, plainly and unequivocally require unit leaders/assistants and unit treasurers to be U.S. citizens:"

You are correct..and to the best of my knowledge these still apply. This requirement does not apply to AHG leaders, only to the Unit Leader, the unit leader assistant, and the Treasurer. I am not sure of the complete reason for this, but I think that the biggest explanation probably is clued in by the Treasurer part. To the best of my knowledge most banks require either an EIN or a SSN to open a normal account. Since most units may not have access to an EIN, this requirement would simplify the process. Yes I know it is possible for legal aliens to have bank accounts, but it is not as simple. This is of course only a logically derived guess.

Sorry for slight diversion, no more after this and we can get onto our regularly scheduled thread.

When Pierre made his Capote, he searched hi and low for directions, the best one he could find is located here:

http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/winter/gear/capote.htm

Take a good long look at the link, Pack, you appreciate delicious irony, do you see it here?

shortridge,

I challenge you to go to the AHG website and navigate to the registration form. You can't without logging in. At least I can't. You are using google and getting in thru a "backdoor" because while AHG thinks they have certain materials behind an ID and password, you are getting around it with a direct url. Having put together a website or two, I can tell you that the webmaster can leave a page or a document cached on their host while removing the url from public view. If you know the url, you can still get there. I believe what you are seeing is the OLD form and the NEW form and creating a consspiracy where one doesn't exist. I can almost with 100% confidence claim that someone at BSA has access online to obsolete forms the BSA used to use too. The imporant thing is that AHG does not have a restriction on legal residents. They probably didn't before, but the wording gave that appearance and when brought to their attention, they modified it to remove confusion. If only the BSA could make changes that quickly. How many threads have their been over the years about the use of the words "may not" in regard tobacco use by BSA adults. BSA could clear it up easily if they wanted to, but for whatever reason, haven't. It's harder to turn a ship than a boat.

From an observers viewpoint, I would have to say that the AHG program is Based on a combination of the Boy Scout and Cub Scout Programs. While it is primarily original material, it is obvious where the ideas came from. I can't really say that it's based on the Baden-Powell program, as youth leadership is a growing emphasis and wasn't really pushed in the original program very much. Additionally, AHG is lawsuit concerned so you have to jump through MANY hoops to do anything adventurous. Most of us with older girls in the program have been thrilled to see the cooperation between AHG & BSA and the opotunities that the Venturing program has for these girls.

After much consideration and some attitudes on this board it has finally occured to me a valid reason why AHG may restrict access to their materials to members. If someone is truely interested in joining, they can easily find a unit who would be happy to discuss the program with them and if it is a fit for their girl. If someone wants to start a unit, AHG national is happy to discuss said things with them. All that said however, why would you really want to make materials available to people who's sole purpose is to find problems and tear down your program with no real desire to help improve it.