• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told by a Shooting Sports director who is a retired cop that in NC crossbows are illegal for folks under a certain age, I think 16 but don't quote me

You can find all North Carolina laws at the NC General Assembly web site: http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutestoc.pl

According to this site, crossbows are legal "for any properly licensed hunter" (North Carolina Wildlife Commission) http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Hunting/Documents/CrossbowFAQ.pdf

And "A youth under age 16, accompanied by a properly licensed adult, may enjoy those privileges conveyed by the license held by the accompanying adult."

It does appear that the law on crossbows has recently changed. From http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Regs/Flipbook/index.html, "A pistol permit is no longer required to buy, sell, receive, or otherwise transfer a crossbow. A disabled crossbow permit is no longer required to hunt with a crossbow. Ownership and use of crossbows is now regulated the same as any other type of bow."

Beavah writes:

"Extremist style can destroy the message. I feel da same way about being a conservative these days."

Extremism in the defense of Scoutcraft is no vice.

By "Den Mothers" I refer to the brave female Den (and Troop) Leaders who served on local and regional heath & safety committees way back in the 1990s when the Guide to Safe Scouting (GtSS) ban on laser tag was announced: The ones who touted the virtue of "inclusiveness" in bringing a women's sensitivity to bear on games in which testosterone-driven boys "pretend to harm other human beings."

At the time they quoted the pronouncements of a woman on the national health and safety committee as their source for the actual specifics of the brand-new values-based "safety" policy.

By "Paper Eagles" I refer to the male "leadership skills" enthusiasts who were the first to defend the new feminist policy, and continue to this very day to unabashedly dumb the Boy Scout program down to the Cub Scout level. :)

KC9DDI writes:

"Yeah, Brew, I too find it frustrating that a position that I strongly agree with (re-introducing a strong outdoors-based program to Scouting, emphasis on patrols and true youth leadership) gets tarnished by those who can't carry on a polite, coherent conversation on the topic..."

The whole point of kicking the Scoutcraft out of Baden-Powell's Scoutcraft program was to move "Wood Badge Trained" Den Leaders (and other indoor "leadership" experts) into committees that regulate the Boy Scout program from the unit to the national level.

Reasonable, polite, coherent, conversationalists like you, KC9DDI, are the problem, not the solution!

True youth leadership?

Thanks to you nice people, morbidly obese BSA millionaires get treated with respect when they blitz the media with anti-camping, anti-Patrol programs geared to getting boys indoors to "learn about leadership" by "sitting side by side" with parlour "adults of good character."

http://inquiry.net/leadership/sitting_side_by_side_with_adults.htm

Such leadership skills dogma deserves to be treated rudely. Where are our Extremist Tarnishers when the nation truly needs them?

As for you, Brewmeister, if you "looked into this thread because you are considering some type of outing for your Webelos;" and did not like the game of "Siberian Man Hunt" using "unexploded paintball ordinances" as hand grenades...

If you will never have a use for the "paintball" catapult and ballista...

If you were not amused by the possibility of Indoor Eagles hacking television remotes to trigger laser tag targets...

Well then, as a "Junior Forum Member" you might not be aware of a wonderful feature at Scouter.Com, designed just for people like you! To the left of your screen, under "Kudu," is the hyperlink "Ignore this user." Click it now and enjoy years of Kudu-free serenity on the Internet.

For everyone else, here is my collection of Traditional Scout Games for estrogen-challenged Boy Scouts who make games out of pretending to harm other human beings:

http://inquiry.net/outdoor/games/laser_alternatives.htm

"When the Den Mothers came to take away laser tag, I said nothing because I don't play laser tag.

"When the Den Mothers came to take away squirt guns, I said nothing because I don't play with squirt guns.

"When the Den Mothers came with their critter plush-toys to take Scoutcraft away from Wood Badge, there was no one left to speak out against airheads."

--Mike Godwin

(This message has been edited by Kudu)

A youth under age 16, accompanied by a properly licensed adult, may enjoy those privileges conveyed by the license held by the accompanying adult

Ah, excellent! We don't want them to go out hunting each other with paintball crossbows without bringing us along to join in the fun, eh?!

Da part I'm confused about, though, is where to get a license for hunting teenagers during paintball crossbow season.

B

You could use a bullet shooting crossbow. It was designed to shoot a hardened clay ball at water foul. The plans are in the book THE CROSSBOW by Sir Ralph Payne-gallwey. ISBN 0-76070-250-0. Making the string should fulfill the one of the archery MB requirements.

Boy, I feel really welcome here! And I never even commented on the paintball game, which sounds like fun...

kudu,

Youve stated that it would be fine with you if the BSA said good riddance to cub scouting.

Youve also made it known that boys who drop out of Cub Scouts (or knew better than to join in the first place) make better Boy Scouts.

You characterize cupcake, Cub Scout survivor Boy Scouts, who dont measure up to standards of being truly red-blooded, as Webelos IIIs, girl boy scouts, and so on.

Scouters who dont measure up are referred to as Den Mothers.

And for that matter, you certainly havent had many good things to say about Wolf Den Leaders who glue macaroni to paper cups.

I get it. You dont like cub scouts. And I will admit youre not alone in your opinion, as I deal with some looking-down-the-nose attitudes from boy scout leaders in the real world as well as here in cyberspace. I just thought, perhaps naively, that we were all on the same team.

Its obvious you know your scouting history and are passionate about scouting. You also probably have some good ideas that I could learn from. But your delivery positively obscures your message for me.

Then again, since I am just a "junior forum member" and a macaroni-gluing Den Mother, that might not be of any concern to you.

(This message has been edited by brewmeister)

Brewmeister writes:

"I get it. You dont like cub scouts. And I will admit youre not alone in your opinion,"

It's the Cub Scouts who don't like Cub Scouts, and they leave in droves before crossing over.

Brewmeister writes:

Then again, since I am just a "junior forum member" and a macaroni-gluing Den Mother, that might not be of any concern to you.

I do like your non-sexist use of the term "macaroni-gluing Den Mother." :)

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

Extremist Tarnisher

Can I interject.

I don't agree with using paintballs in catapults and what not. TOOO DARN MESSY! ;) Trust me did that 1 time, and the ranger nearly had my hide as well as all the others. It was a bear to clean up.

As for Cubs, they do want the OUTING IN SCOUTING. I had Cubs chomping at the bit to go camping. I did as many meetings as possible outside and they hated going inside. I also lost one family between Tigers and Wolves b/c "you don't camp enough."

Ok. So our group of Webelos put down their macaroni long enough to determine that they REALLY want to do laser tag or paintball. Their preference is paintball because of the outdoor/tactical aspects, as well as the opportunity to whomp someone with an actual projectile versus an invisible beam...

Soooo...how do we make this happen?

Is the definitive answer to run this "off the grid?"

"Boys, if you would like to participate in a game of paintball/lasertag, which is definitely NOT a den event but just so happens to be organized by Mr. DL, just show up at such-and-such place."

????

Officially you can't do it. I disagree with the no lasertag/ paintball b/c I know how much fun laser tag was. Prior to the ban in place, one OA chapter had a laser tag lock in since the adviser was the owner of the local arena.

Also in the UK, where there is no such ban, one of the camps I worked at had the "service crew" go out to a nearby arena and play as a team building exercise. HEHEHE that was a BLAST :)

What i find kinda funny is that there are no simulated firearms, but you can play Manhunt, Civil War, Capture the Flag, Flag Raiders, etc using flashlights and it's not a problem.

An on another note, would a Star Trek the Next Generation Phaser be OK since it's not a firearm?

...moth to the flame...

At least I can see the certain flair with which Kudu 'says' it. And I agree with the spirit, although I think the cubs are far more fun than the boys and I'd go back to 'corrupting' them in a heartbeat. We had an incredibly good time when I was in the cubs...although we probably broke some rules...

Anyway, my intent was to respond to Kudu's incredibly good idea of hacking TV remotes. Mix that with Eagle92's idea of Star Trek and it's almost a perfect world. The boys only get to play after they 1) invent a totally new game, 2) they surmount the technological challenge of re-inventing the hardware, 3) they organize the duties to get it done, and 4) then run it 'under the radar' so the PC crowd doesn't blow their cover. It combines creativity, leadership, technical expertise, imagination, skullduggery, and strategy with fun! I can hardly wait.

Another thought is to create your own vests to wear when playing those other games with flashlights. That would also be pretty cheap. TI makes some $5 micro controllers that you can get lights sensors for. Wire them up with a bunch of LEDs on the vest and program the micro controller to turn on the LEDs when the light sensors are triggered by a flashlight.

I think I just found my summer project. I bet I could do it for under $20 per vest.

Thanks for the responses.

The flashing-neon "verboten" verbiage around simulated firearms in the G2SS is pretty clear. (Hmmm...maybe having the boys carve guns to earn their Whittling Chip at the pack campout wasn't the best idea...)

Anyhoo, the remote control plan is intruiging but for practicality's sake we'll stick with what's ready-made.

So, unless we can convince our merry band of red-blooded war mongers that lobbing paintballs at each other would be just as much fun as shooting them from a gun, it looks like we'd have to run the paint/lazer option off the grid. Perhaps one of our Webs will have to have a birthday party or something.......