The Troop began with 95% home schooled boys, most with larger than average number of siblings. Because of this, the former SM and CC never looked at any event or location outside of the county. Times have moved on, and we have a diverse group of scouts, both in age, ranks, family economics, and school type.

So the question is, do you deprive the scouts with means, of the High Adventure Base/OA/Jambo, because not every scout in the

troop has that opportunity?

How has your troop handled similar type matters?

We had good relations with the other troops overall in the district. While my troop didn't do any HA activities per se, several of our leaders did organize district level HA trips that members participated in. Principly 2 trips to Canada, and 1 trip to Jambo and Canada.

Usually we knew which troops were goign places and doing things, and announcements would be made that X number of spots are available to go with Troop 123.

No.

Our thought is that we will not feel guilty because some can do more than others.

That being said, if any scout would need such, we do some fundraising that goes into scout accounts, and our bylaws do have a discretionary fund to be used by the committee if any scout could not do something because of financial reasons.

However, i think it is a disservice to those scouts who can attend a HA base to not plan such because of some in the troop that cannot.

I had a situation where a troop had never gone on a HA and didn't know how to put one together. My troop worked with them and both troops went together. BWCA - 2 permits, 6 canoes. During the day's paddle the canoes shuffled so that by the time the week was up, everyone had a chance to camp with everyone else. Worked out great and the other troop was then inspired to take on more trips on their own.

Stosh

Our crew has effectively two tracks: a HA track, and a skills acquisition track -- my terms not the youth's. The HA track is "activated" whenever a couple of kids with means want to pursue it. The skills acquisition track is ongoing and consists of all of the outings and low-budget super-activities that we do. Officers are challenged to work out a balance between the two.

From the youth's perspective it's just different committees planning different activities.

There is no fat in our budget, no discretionary fund. So some kids do wind up bowing out of an HA track because of finances. That said, most of those kids have made dating or hobbies or travel with a school club a priority, so no hard feelings.

Many councils and districts put together crews for HA activities. At the very least this information should be made available to all scouts. As mentioned before some units put together a goal a couple of years out and begin to fundraise. This is a great way for scouts that would otherwise never get the opportunity to participate in a HA activity if they are willing to put in the work.

On the other hand there are many inexpensive HA that can often be done locally. The unit I'm associated with has run a 4-5 day backpacking trip somewhere in New England during school April break each of the last three years. No plane fare, no unit fees, just the cost of gas for a two hour drive and food. HA doesn't need to be High Cost.

SA

Why does HA automatically translate into large $$'s????

I took boys to BWCA for a week at a cost less than 5 1/2 days of summer camp.

A bike hike of 200-300 miles shouldn't cost much either.

Backpacking in a national forest shouldn't cost much. 5-6 days on Appalachian Trail shouldn't cost more than a week at camp either.

Travel is the only unknown on any HA and one doesn't need to go that far to find plenty of adventure for the boys that they can't get on a weekend camporee or week at summer camp.

Any HA trip that requires big bucks is going to turn off a lot of boys. Heck, we got people complaining about the cost of a pair of uniform pants.

Knock off the $750 "program registration" on most BSA National HA bases and that will completely outfit a kid with new backpack, equipment, hiking boots and uniform with pants.

In the 7 years of a scout's career one maybe two National HA's should be fine, but local HA should be scheduled every year especially for the older boys who really aren't looking forward to their 5th trip to the council summer camp.

Stosh

"So the question is, do you deprive the scouts with means, of the High Adventure Base/OA/Jambo, because not every scout in the

troop has that opportunity? "

I'm not so sure that I'd agree with Scouts not having the opportunity.

Given enough time /notice a lot if not most Scouts can work for or save up the money that is needed.

The Troop can help by ensuring that there are fund raising opportunities that will help cover the cost.

Depending on where you are and where you want to go?? Different ways of getting there can be looked into?

OK so Sea Base is a little high, but Philmont isn't that expensive once you get there.

For us where I live flying is the quickest way, but it used to be the most expensive. Trains were less expensive and driving there was the cheapest. ( This might have changed?) Bad news is that it takes about 3 days each way, good news is that you get to stop at a lot of really interesting places.

Some Councils offer really good H/A opportunities that cost about the same as a week at summer camp.

We had a really great time Sea Kayaking down south in Georgia. - Other than the grits.(Which are tasteless.)

Ea.

Second Class,

Does your council not do council contingents to the HA bases? Ours does. We have a large troop and while only one or two boys come from wealthy families, the majority do not. Our troop does an annual HA trip that rotates between the bases or makes up our own. We are fortunate to have the resources to do that. But for those troops who don't have the means or the experience, any boy can sign up for a council contingent and go.

Now, let me address OA. OA typically isn't expensive. A boy gets elected and completes his Ordeal and the only expense he may incur is the fees for attending the few Lodge activities that happen each year. If he wants to go to NOAC, there will be expense just like going to Jamboree.....but it will be cheaper. An added benefit of being an OA member is that it provides the absolute cheapest way to go to any of the HA bases. For $200, they go spend a week working on a trail crew and then get to spend a week on a custom trek the boys design. Other than the $200 price tag, you have to pay for your transportation there and back.

There is no reason to deprive everyone based on the kid with the least funds. You need to open the possibility of every opportunity available to all of them and then work to help those who don't have the funds to raise the funds.

Our troop makes sure to promote the Jambo and Council contingent opportunities for High Adenture bases. We couple this with a large number of fundraising opportunities so every scout has the chance to go wherever they want. It's unacceptable for a scout to tell me he can't go somewhere due to cost. We had 3 boys raise the entire $2K for the last Jambo. It's really a matter of how bad they want to go.

We also offer opprtunites closer to home for the boys who may not want to do all of the fundraising. We're fortunate to be within a few hours of the Adirondacks and can easliy reach places to hike/canoe/whitewater raft.

It's sometimes not the cost of the HA as it is all the stops along the way. Just because you're going to Philmont does not mean you also have to raft on the Arkansas River, eat in restaurants (grocery stores are almost always cheaper), stay in motels, etc.