Questions about what is appropriate

Qwase -

You are correct. I would not want to explain to a parent I don't know. I don't have my son drive any underage members other than his own siblings and girlfriend as I think it's safer that way. My husband or another adult drives and some of the boys drive as well.

At this point, all of the kids in the crew are boys we have known for years. They hang out in our home and we know their parents. Most of them are friends of my middle sons but have known my oldest son for years as well. At this point, they all know his girlfriend as well. I am looking to expand our girl roster. Two of our members have sisters - one girl staffs art at summer camp and the other is an avid girl scout but not yet 14 - and I am hoping to recruit them and their moms, both of whom camp. That might alleviate some of the female leadership problem. I attend day activities to chaperone but I really can't camp any longer, although since I had a recent surgery, I might be able to do cabin camping by the summer. Sleeping on the ground is not possible at this point.

I really like the venturing program and hope that we can keep it going with an infusion of new kids when my youngest turns 14 next year.

And, yes, you're right, I would hate to lose my son as a leader. The Venture program has helped him to mature and he has really stepped up as a leader.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO, if anyone ever pressed the issue ...

1. I'd encourage them to call national about it.

2. If my request to keep both in the program fell on deaf ears, I'd ask the couple to determine which one of them is getting the most benefit from the program, and encourage the other to become "unofficial", but fully supportive of the crew until both cross that 21 mark.

I'm also working on getting the "2nd generation" recruited. I'd love an excuse to keep having this much fun for another few years!